Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox series X - Q95T screen flickering 120hz

(Topic created on: 14-01-2021 11:32 PM)
kw33
Apprentice
Options

I have a Samsung QE65Q95T tv and i want to use 4k with 120hz on my console, but i can`t get it to work.

My screen starts flickering as soon as i set my Settings on the xbox series x console to 4K, 120hz with HDR10 on auto and VRR enabled. 

(It also starts flickering when VRR is disabled)

Does anyone know how to resolve this?

The software version of my tv is 1403.

41 REPLIES 41
denodan
Navigator
Options

Got the Q90R and works perfectly at 120hz, no flickering at all

0 Likes
joerolcor
Journeyman
Options

YIKES...  my Q90 doesn't do that.   It's more a frame rate drop issue and a slight pulse around some of the icons.   BUT when I go to COD Cold War...  I can tell when I am in the main menu for COD that the frame rate and pulse issue is present.  That's when I have to go to the settings.. pick 60htz...  then say NO to save my settings so that it reverts back to 120htz.   Then it is fine.   But I don't have that flickering like your video.

0 Likes
joerolcor
Journeyman
Options

so you are running a XBOX SERIES X with 4K HRD 120HTZ and VRR?   With no flickering and frame rate issues?    What games do you play?

0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options

Sure am, gears 5 and ori so far at 120hz and VRR

0 Likes
DelboyLiverpool
First Poster
Options

I had this problem. So on Samsung tv settings. I set auto game mode off. Then just let xbox put game mode on.

Had same problem with ps4. So used the same trick. Not had the problem since.

0 Likes
Leon300
First Poster
Options
I just got Xbox series x today. I have q95t. Games are freezing and send the tv to a blue screen which instructs me to check the HDMI connection. As it doesn't support the resolution. Seems to be happening in 120hz mode if I switch to a game.
Reading the comments has me worried.
joerolcor
Journeyman
Options

I have not heard that one before.   I would try another 2.1 HDMI cable.   See if that changes anything.   Next I would be to try using the console on another TV with a 2.1 HDMI port, if you know someone who has a new TV with the 2.1 HDMI port. 

0 Likes
PaulWexler
Student
Options

Same problem, I have used diferents cables, it doesn’t help. 

0 Likes
Elboulevardo
Journeyman
Options

joerolcor, you described what I discovered on my end almost to the letter, including the workaround steps to remove the flickering (i have to disable 120hz AND VRR, but essentially the same).  Only difference is I have cable TV on the input and not sat, but the circumstances are identical.

Now, one thing I'll add to my testing that differs from yours is that i turned the auto game mod e off, and left it in game mode when i switched back to the cable input.  Then, with game mode still active, turned on the xbox, manually changed to its input, and no flickering.  Still, that's hardly a solution.

From my testing, I'm virtually certain there is an issue with whatever drives the input change and how it has to cycle video modes in the process

Sad that 7 months later this is still an issue

0 Likes
joerolcor
Journeyman
Options

Good / Bad to hear someone else has the same issue.  BUT I too have the AUTO GAME MODE off.   It's a ***** shoot on whether or not when I change inputs from the TV (Satellite) input back to the XBOX SERIES X if it will work.   Sometimes it's OK...  sometimes it's not.    And for me it does not matter if the 120hz is on or off... It's almost like you have to re-introduce the XBOX to your TV...  LOL.    XBOX meet Samsung TV...   Samsung TV meet XBOX.  It's like they forget that they have met before and that they are supposed to be friends..  LOL.   Very weird.   The "good" part is that I have a bunch of dead pixels on mine and  I got the Best Buy 4 year warranty, which covers dead pixels.   So I will ride this out as long as I can and MAYBE the newer models will have this fixed.

0 Likes