Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

XBOX Series X - Q80T Game Mode Issues

(Topic created on: 10-12-2020 03:20 AM)
gravelcrowman
Journeyman
Options

So I received my Xbox Series X today, connected it to HDMI 4 using the bundled HDMI 2.1 cable and everything was fine until...I tried to play a game. Settings on the console were 4K, 120hz with HDR10 on auto and VRR enabled. As soon as I start a game my Q80T (55 inch) disconnects from the Xbox and shows a no signal error. From here I can press the Xbox button on the controller and switch apps and then I get significant screen tearing and flickering in menus. 

As soon as I disable VRR on the Xbox it works fine. Hoping someone else has tested this with other cables or can offer solutions.

This guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8-6DmN9Gw4&feature=youtu.be was able to demonstrate that 4K 120hz with Freesync was possible on PC, so I'm hoping an update to TV or Xbox firmware will sort it out. 

Edit: as Kyljaiden pointed out, some regions have version 1403 firmware. To clarify, I'm in Australia and we do not have that firmware update as yet and are stuck on 1402. Need to wait for confirmation from another user that 1403 replicates the 120hz VRR issues. 

Edit2: Daparky shared this link https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/xba_console/known-issues-on-xbox-series-xs/221c9d7f-d... confirming that Microsoft are aware of the issues. 

Edit3: SOLVED - a number of users have reported that 1403 firmware fixes the issue I've detailed. Unfortunately some regions do not have access to this firmware yet and will simply need to wait until Samsung push out the updates locally. 

214 REPLIES 214
portuguese83
Explorer
Options

Tech came today and replaced panel and motherboard....still have purple ghosting, not as bad as b4 but still is noticable. How much money is Samsung gonna loose b4 they actually admit that this is a problem

0 Likes
Denni5M
Explorer
Options

Yeah they did the exact same thing to me, replaced the motherboard and it's still a issue, and they are denying it's a issue. I think they are stalling for time until they can get frimware out. But why not just admit it? Everyone would be happy if we knew they know about it and are working on a fix.

0 Likes
Mikeru
Explorer
Options

I just noticed that if I turn off tv and then turn back on, HDR is turning off... Another thing that makes me wonder... It have different setting modes when I look at Xbox menu, one for when I set up hdr and when I am actually in game, and again when I open YouTube there are different settings too. I just totally don’t understand wtf is going on on this thing. Why it’s even changes when I set Game mode ON only? 

0 Likes
Chaky87
Journeyman
Options

Szia, nekem ezzel a frissitessel pont jo lett. Igy mar nem villodzik 120Hzes beallitasnal. Esetleg hdmi kabel cseret lehetne meg probalni. 

0 Likes
Parzival92
First Poster
Options

Én is leszedtem, USB aztán frissítés. De ugyan úgy vibrál a kép ahogy eddig is. Frissítés után valami plusz beállítást nem csináltál ? 
Meg a magyar Samsung oldalán 2 db frissítés is fent van, valami különbség a kettő között ? 

0 Likes
Chaky87
Journeyman
Options

En nem usbn keresztul frissitettem le.Beallitasok kozott lattam, hogy van uj FW verzio es ugy frissitettem le a tvt.

HDMI 4 port ugye a 2.1es ami kell a boxnak, es igazabol ennyi tortent. 

0 Likes
MagoPunk
First Poster
Options

My refund period is almost over. I still don't know what to do because appart from the problems with my Series X, it's a wonderful TV and I didn't find any other problem, not even a single dead pixel. With the last firm I have the usual problem with horizontal lines going from the bottom to the top with VRR activated and some blinking light colors ocasionally, I would say only in the menus. But I don't see anyone noticing this or maybe only I have this problem: with VRR off, I don't have the lines going up the screen but they are static. It's diffiult to notice in light areas but in some dark areas it's very obvious that they'r still there, just only static and more difficult to see. Maybe someone wants to try it. It's not in totally black areas but dark grey with some shadow details. If it's a 3D game like Gears 5 or What Remains of Edith Finch and you move the camera slowly through these dark areas, maybe you can see them. It's possible to make it almost invisible cheating with the TV settings, but I spent a lot of money on this TV to play my console and it's not fair to be forced to remove fetures or have to cheat trying to hide my TV's problems. I tried it in a little monitor I have and not a single problem. I don't know if I should get a refund or wait for a firmware update.
PD: I noticed the lines with VRR move quicker with the console at 120hz that they do at 60hz, whatever that means.

0 Likes
Chrisw156
Apprentice
Options

Man I hate to hear that....I’m sure you’re using the HDMI cable that the Xbox came with, right? That male a huge difference. If that isn’t the problem and the settings aren’t screwed up you have a bad unit. I’d replace ASAP, warranty will take care of you. Frustrating I’m sure. 

0 Likes
MagoPunk
First Poster
Options

Thanks . Yes I used the cable included with the console in the HDMI port for gaming.  I tried different cables, modes, configurations, monitors, ports, etc. Everything. It doesn't happen with my old Xbox 360 though it goes at 60hz no VRR, but the Series X with the same configuration shows the lines. I don't know what to think as many people are experiencing similar problems and I guess many of the ones that aren't complaining is because maybe they didn't notice as it's not so obvious. Maybe with VRR off it's not so frecuent though. I read so many people having other kind of problems that if I send the TV back, I'm not buying this model as I see a lot of people complaining of other units behaving even worse than mine. Some people mentioned that the last firmware made the image look worse, I don't know if mine was OK because I updadet before receiving the console. It's a shame because I got it for only 900 euros. If I get a refund, I think I will play with my little monitor and wait until they release new TV's which can guarantee 100% functionality with the Series X. Not ideal because my monitor is only 21" and 1080P 60HZ 😞 but it has Freesync and works perfectly fine with VRR.

0 Likes
Chrisw156
Apprentice
Options

That stinks. So sorry to hear that. Mine seems to be perfect with vrr hdr and 120 running. Just got mine a week ago, I guess some work and some don’t. They need to make that right for you. 

0 Likes