Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

XBOX Series X - Q80T Game Mode Issues

(Topic created on: 08-12-2020 09:21 PM)
gravelcrowman
Journeyman
Options

So I received my Xbox Series X today, connected it to HDMI 4 using the bundled HDMI 2.1 cable and everything was fine until...I tried to play a game. Settings on the console were 4K, 120hz with HDR10 on auto and VRR enabled. As soon as I start a game my Q80T (55 inch) disconnects from the Xbox and shows a no signal error. From here I can press the Xbox button on the controller and switch apps and then I get significant screen tearing and flickering in menus. 

As soon as I disable VRR on the Xbox it works fine. Hoping someone else has tested this with other cables or can offer solutions.

This guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8-6DmN9Gw4&feature=youtu.be was able to demonstrate that 4K 120hz with Freesync was possible on PC, so I'm hoping an update to TV or Xbox firmware will sort it out. 

Edit: as Kyljaiden pointed out, some regions have version 1403 firmware. To clarify, I'm in Australia and we do not have that firmware update as yet and are stuck on 1402. Need to wait for confirmation from another user that 1403 replicates the 120hz VRR issues. 

Edit2: Daparky shared this link https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/xba_console/known-issues-on-xbox-series-xs/221c9d7f-d... confirming that Microsoft are aware of the issues. 

Edit3: SOLVED - a number of users have reported that 1403 firmware fixes the issue I've detailed. Unfortunately some regions do not have access to this firmware yet and will simply need to wait until Samsung push out the updates locally. 

214 REPLIES 214
Aularik
Apprentice
Options

New update did nothing for me 😞 but sounds like we have the same issue for the most part. The horizontal lines I never noticed till last night. All the games look flawless when VRR is turned off

0 Likes
MichuPL
Journeyman
Options

Well, I have crushed blacks even with VRR off...

20201207_150438.jpg

0 Likes
djyano
Journeyman
Options

I updated from a pendrive and it went without a problem.
the problem with VRR still exists, it's safe to say they haven't done anything about it. at 120hz it is more stable, but there is still a lot of work ahead of them. generally it is embarrassing. I bought Q80T and XSX to enjoy the normal game but I have only problems. 

Unfortunately, I think the Q80T model is not ideal for new generation consoles. expensive tv to netflix

0 Likes
Aularik
Apprentice
Options

Do you have hgig on? Can you send a pic of your settings? I'll compare yours to mine and see what's different. 

0 Likes
MichuPL
Journeyman
Options

Yes, I have hgig on. With it or without it, same results. Vrr on/vrr off, same results. 120fps on/off same results. Blacks are crushed to hell. Photo of my settings would be in polish so I'll translate here. Game mode ON. In general expert settings: brightness 35, contrast 50, sharpness 5, color 25, one below color - 0, local dimming high, contrast enhancer low, color tone standard, gamma all default, shadow details 0, color space auto. In game mode settings I have dynamic black equalizer (0-5) on 0, the more turn up here, the more broken blacks are. hgig is on, port 4 is "enchanced". On xbox I have all options checked besides YCC 4:2:2. 

20201207_150036.jpg

0 Likes
Chrisw156
Apprentice
Options

Mine is working as advertised once I updated and used proper HDMI cables. I’d recommend double checking the cables, they must be high speed hdmi....generic hdmi cables will not work. Hopefully that helps. 

0 Likes
QuantumP
Pathfinder
Options

No, they need to be Ultra High Speed.

0 Likes
Denni5M
Explorer
Options

This is what's happening to me as well, and not only on Xbox sx but also on PC on a 3070. These TVs are trash.

Chrisw156
Apprentice
Options

Yep that’s right ultra high speed. 

0 Likes
Luk4shO
Journeyman
Options
I have a new problem on my Q95T after 1460 update. I use AVR for all my devices going into HDMI4. So when I switch between my XSX and Nvidia Shield (that's what I use for my Smart features, not this build in TV *****) I do it on AVR inputs. but after this update if I switch to Shield and then back to XSX when game in HDR is running TV will not trigger HDR. No matter what I do. Even if I 'minimize' to Xbox home which disables HDR. When I open said game the HDR will not kick in. The only way is to kill the game and restart it. Only then TV will engage HDR. *****