Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

XBOX Series X - Q80T Game Mode Issues

(Topic created on: 05-12-2020 09:33 AM)
gravelcrowman
Journeyman
Options

So I received my Xbox Series X today, connected it to HDMI 4 using the bundled HDMI 2.1 cable and everything was fine until...I tried to play a game. Settings on the console were 4K, 120hz with HDR10 on auto and VRR enabled. As soon as I start a game my Q80T (55 inch) disconnects from the Xbox and shows a no signal error. From here I can press the Xbox button on the controller and switch apps and then I get significant screen tearing and flickering in menus. 

As soon as I disable VRR on the Xbox it works fine. Hoping someone else has tested this with other cables or can offer solutions.

This guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8-6DmN9Gw4&feature=youtu.be was able to demonstrate that 4K 120hz with Freesync was possible on PC, so I'm hoping an update to TV or Xbox firmware will sort it out. 

Edit: as Kyljaiden pointed out, some regions have version 1403 firmware. To clarify, I'm in Australia and we do not have that firmware update as yet and are stuck on 1402. Need to wait for confirmation from another user that 1403 replicates the 120hz VRR issues. 

Edit2: Daparky shared this link https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/xba_console/known-issues-on-xbox-series-xs/221c9d7f-d... confirming that Microsoft are aware of the issues. 

Edit3: SOLVED - a number of users have reported that 1403 firmware fixes the issue I've detailed. Unfortunately some regions do not have access to this firmware yet and will simply need to wait until Samsung push out the updates locally. 

214 REPLIES 214
Mikeru
Explorer
Options

Yes (Q70T)

0 Likes
Aularik
Apprentice
Options

I've never had an exact "issue" like the black screen etc. But I will say when I have VRR on, the blacks are either super gray, or in some cases like....too black. Also when in game like AC: valhalla the screen looks like it's almost had a gray tint to it. When I turn vrr off it looks amazing. Colors are correct, details are intense and exact. I'm in the US and I'm using 1403.1 also. Anyone have this issue also? I think the dark blacks would be black crush? Oh and also my tv is q80t 55'

Gokau
First Poster
Options

I have done some testing with the Q80T and I seemed to have narrowed the flickering down to the 8bit color depth mode on the Xbox. Switching it to 10bit color depth resolved the issue for me.

0 Likes
D4RKSYD
First Poster
Options

Not me, mine has always been 10 but and flicker remains 

0 Likes
Mikeru
Explorer
Options

I noticed that I can see less of smearing when I turn off VRR on Xbox.

0 Likes
Denni5M
Explorer
Options

This is still occuring even on 1403 on PC.

0 Likes
MuRFi3
Explorer
Options

New firmware out in Australia for Q80t version 1461

0 Likes
vegavnil
First Poster
Options

Did it fix any VRR related issues?

0 Likes
MuRFi3
Explorer
Options

Last version 1403 fixed it for me, but not sure what this version has updated or added

Mikeru
Explorer
Options

I was talking with Xbox official account on Twitter about VRR. They said that if you have TV with Game Mode G-sync or Free sync, you should NOT be using VRR. End of story. 

0 Likes