Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

XBOX Series X - Q80T Game Mode Issues

(Topic created on: 02-12-2020 08:14 AM)
gravelcrowman
Journeyman
Options

So I received my Xbox Series X today, connected it to HDMI 4 using the bundled HDMI 2.1 cable and everything was fine until...I tried to play a game. Settings on the console were 4K, 120hz with HDR10 on auto and VRR enabled. As soon as I start a game my Q80T (55 inch) disconnects from the Xbox and shows a no signal error. From here I can press the Xbox button on the controller and switch apps and then I get significant screen tearing and flickering in menus. 

As soon as I disable VRR on the Xbox it works fine. Hoping someone else has tested this with other cables or can offer solutions.

This guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8-6DmN9Gw4&feature=youtu.be was able to demonstrate that 4K 120hz with Freesync was possible on PC, so I'm hoping an update to TV or Xbox firmware will sort it out. 

Edit: as Kyljaiden pointed out, some regions have version 1403 firmware. To clarify, I'm in Australia and we do not have that firmware update as yet and are stuck on 1402. Need to wait for confirmation from another user that 1403 replicates the 120hz VRR issues. 

Edit2: Daparky shared this link https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/xba_console/known-issues-on-xbox-series-xs/221c9d7f-d... confirming that Microsoft are aware of the issues. 

Edit3: SOLVED - a number of users have reported that 1403 firmware fixes the issue I've detailed. Unfortunately some regions do not have access to this firmware yet and will simply need to wait until Samsung push out the updates locally. 

214 REPLIES 214
Dave2320
First Poster
Options

I just got that TV yesterday and it didn’t work for me initially but as soon as I turned the game mode on everything worked fine

0 Likes
vegavnil
First Poster
Options

New Series X update today, maybe this fixes the VRR issue...

0 Likes
QuantumP
Pathfinder
Options
Still getting black screen when starting a game. Running VRR 120hz/4K. I have updated the new update today on Xbox. Same issue. It is the TV.
0 Likes
vegavnil
First Poster
Options

That sucks. Hopefully Samsung releases an update soon...

0 Likes
Jeffreyvha
Pioneer
Options

Q70r isnt hdmi 2.1 ? 

0 Likes
Mikeru
Explorer
Options

All 2020 QLED TVs have at least one 2.1

0 Likes
Jeffreyvha
Pioneer
Options

Mine issues are fixed for now.. sort of.... samsung still need to sort out there auto function on the soundmode. With external connected devices and dolby atmos there is extreme lag when you let the tv automatically work things out. You have to select passtrough.. auto is still to much lag... im just saying .... i didnt expect this much problems with my tv and soundbar. Both samsung... 

0 Likes
acorreia73
First Poster
Options

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/xba_console/known-issues-on-xbox-series-xs/221c9d7f-d...

Microsoft is aware of issues, so I believe it s on the console. In my case Destiny 2 game needs to have 120/vrr turned off

0 Likes
CaptainKao
Apprentice
Options

Are you getting horizontal bars that scroll up the screen when VRR is turned on? Mostly noticeable against solid colour backgrounds. 

CaptainKao
Apprentice
Options

I have the same issue on the 55" Q80T. It is really annoying. 

0 Likes