Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why no Dolby Atmos on samsung Netflix App???

(Topic created on: 27-04-2019 12:04 PM)
Leet2274
Pioneer
Options

i have Q9FN and HW N850 Atmos Soundbar

when using Netflix App on the TV, i went into Expert Audio Settings and it lets me select "dolby digital +" for audio ouput

the hw n850 sounbar supports Atmos

yet when on netlfix still only get crappy 5.1 sound

ive owned a sony xf9005 recently and their netflix app gives Dolby Atmos sound using "dolby digital +" , yes it is "lossy" dolby atmos but still sounds much better than DD 5.1

so my question is why are Samsung not updating their Netflix App to have Dolby Atmos. i have what is required here, dolby digital + selected on q9fn and atmos capable hw n850 soundbar. this is all thats required for "lossy Dolby Atmos" same as you get on 2018 sony & LG tv's

come on samsung, please sort this out by updating to a atmos capable Netflix APP version. its all thats needed

its bad enough having no DTS after spending £2000 on your tv & sounbar, the very least you can do to keep customers a little bit happier is Fix this one

632 REPLIES 632
denodan
Navigator
Options
Anyway atmos on you tube is only 5.1 atmos. If you had eARC on the tv and had your atmos bluray player or xbox hooked up to tv. TV speakers are ***** anyway and anyone who wants decent sound use an external source.

Frankly I dont miss or care the tv does not have eARC as I dont use it want to use crappy tv speakers.
0 Likes
_oSo_
Navigator
Options

It might not be important for you, but it could be important for those who are asking about it. Not everyone wants to connect their devices directly to their earc capable soundbar, some soudnbars including the HW Q90R have just a few HDMI ports, not enought ports for some people. Taking advantage of a Connect box is the logical thing to do, being able to connect devices directly to the tv without having to sacrifice atmos is a big deal.

And not eveyone wants to be plugging and unplugging stuff from the soundbar just to be able to enjoy atmos. I have 6 devices that are atmos capable but only 2 can be plugged on the soundbar, what do I do with the rest? Im tired of plugging and unplugging devices all because samsung decided to forget to update the tv to eARC that could allow passthrough. For those that have just 2 devices thats ok, connect them directly to the soundbar and youll have atmos, but the convenience ends and the inconvenience beggins when you exceed the amount of devices that you can connect to the soundbar. 

And regardless of that, it its pretty lame from samsung to back away from a promise on which they sold a product. They should had never mention anything about an eARC update for these tv lineups and people would be ok and happy and some people including myself would have opted for a diferent tv and thats it, but the fact that they promise the eARC update to atract potential buyers looking for this feature and create expectations on their customers is what has people upset and asking about the update. Many of the people asking for this right now would have purchase a diferrent tv if samsung wouldnt have promie the update. People know about Samsung Qleds great image quality, i love it, but thats not enought for me, i also want the eARC as many others also want. I really wish sasug proves me wrong and comes with this update soon, i still  owe hallf of what this tv cost me and have 10 more months of montly payments to remind me that I dont have eARC. 

So anyways im glad that you @denodan are happy with the tv and it fullfills your needs but as to me I could be happier paying for another tv with earc and avoiding trips to the tv to plug and unplug devices. It almost a reminiscense of the times when there were no remote controls and people had to stand up and walk to the tv to change channel lol.

My temprary solution was to buy a headset to be able to get atmos on the xbox, and connect the apple tv to the earc port on the soundbar and as for the other devices I have to keep pluging and unplugging. Kudos for samsung commitment to convenience and customer satisfaction. Thats how great companies that are capable of creating great products are left behind, when they dont understand the needs of the customers and worst lie about their products. 

0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options
Extending ports on soundbar is easy. An hdmi switcher. No tv speakers are totally ***** for atmos as far as I am concerned. I can see Samsungs logic giving their soundbar an eARC update as most people use external sources.

If it was not eARC people were not moaning over it would certianly be something else.

0 Likes
Rick268
Explorer
Options

@denodan 

do you understand that if they update the tv to eArc, you can plug your devices (Xbox, 4K Blu-ray player) directly into the tv and then the tv can pass Dolby atmos to your soundbar via HDMI-earc? You wouldn't be listening to "atmos on the tv speakers"

_oSo_
Navigator
Options
@denodan Man you try to find every reason possible to excuse Samsung from what they have done. Why would I need to purchase an HDMI switcher and spend more money? So now because of Samsung ill have to buy an HDMI switcher?
And why would I need to use the speakers on the tv? I need eARC so I can have passthrough from the devices to the tv to the atmos enabled soundbar. Forget about the tv speakers, Samsung can sell this tv without speakers at all, I wouldn't care less as long as they update the to eARC so that I can connect devices to the tv and the tv passthrough to the soundbar and get atmos without connecting directly to the soundbar. Simple as that, a very logical setup with all devices eARC enabled. But at this moment the tv is the stranger in the pack, can't play at the same level f the rest of the devices, not a perfect team member and that is gonna cost Samsung a lot In the long run.
0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options
I do but the tv speakers are so poor compared to an external source it's not funny. So for me eARC on tv itself is pointless when using the soundbar works for me. Will only ever have 2 xbox the new one and ps5 in the bar is all I need. TV speakers just dont cut it. Dont need a 4k atmos bluray as xbox series x will also have a 4k bluray player with atmos. So for me the soundbar has enough hdmi ports
0 Likes
Rick268
Explorer
Options

If you have a cable box like me and have to plug it into the tv, then the sound has an audio delay coming out of the soundbar 

denodan
Navigator
Options
I have an Nivia shield yet getting atmos plugged into the one box and getting atmos but found goes through soundbar and no lip sync issues
0 Likes
robertw2
Student
Options
Only reset of TV solved this issue. Thanks for counsel.
0 Likes
rojw13
Pioneer
Options

I do not consider that a "quirk" in my world its called a fault.

You are lucky that you can get it but my point was more referring to the 2018 Q series models that were also promised atmos support once the 2019 rollout was complete.

just more lies from Samsung. The eArc thing is a total fiasco!!

Before you retort with your obligatory "I am happy with my Samsung"   thousands of people are not.

we would like some genuine answers from Samsung as to why they have not fulfilled their promises.

Even if YOU don't think we need it.

0 Likes