Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why no Dolby Atmos on samsung Netflix App???

(Topic created on: 27-04-2019 12:04 PM)
Leet2274
Pioneer
Options

i have Q9FN and HW N850 Atmos Soundbar

when using Netflix App on the TV, i went into Expert Audio Settings and it lets me select "dolby digital +" for audio ouput

the hw n850 sounbar supports Atmos

yet when on netlfix still only get crappy 5.1 sound

ive owned a sony xf9005 recently and their netflix app gives Dolby Atmos sound using "dolby digital +" , yes it is "lossy" dolby atmos but still sounds much better than DD 5.1

so my question is why are Samsung not updating their Netflix App to have Dolby Atmos. i have what is required here, dolby digital + selected on q9fn and atmos capable hw n850 soundbar. this is all thats required for "lossy Dolby Atmos" same as you get on 2018 sony & LG tv's

come on samsung, please sort this out by updating to a atmos capable Netflix APP version. its all thats needed

its bad enough having no DTS after spending £2000 on your tv & sounbar, the very least you can do to keep customers a little bit happier is Fix this one

632 REPLIES 632
Smazza1970
Pathfinder
Options

Hi there

Unfortunately I have still not resolved this problem either and all I got from Samsung always to contact netflix as 1290.4 is the latest firmware for the uk.

I asked about the 13.55 firware to which I was told that is not showing as available for my nu8000.

On further checks it seems that one problem is netflix not offering atmos sound tracks to the tv via the app and second, Samsung not updating the tv to allow e arc which I understand will allow soundbar amps etc to see dolby atmos.

Suffice to say if I want to watch netflix with atmos I have to watch it via my xbox one.

This subject seems to be un solvable at the moment 

0 Likes
fjpadilla
Apprentice
Options

Now I have a Q90R Tv from samsung. The youtuve app can stream 4k video with HDR.

The TV that I had before this new one was from Samsung too. A 2015 model, 4K no HDR. The youtube app from that TV was not capable of stream 4K video.

So althoug a TV can do something, ih this case, output a Atmos signal with DD+ through the ARC hdmi port, if the app can't do, you won't get it.

For example. My Q90R netflix app CAN output dolby atmos to my Q70R sound bar. But the youtube app can't. It is not a TV fault. It is an app fault. And Samsung can't do anything. With new models perhaps Samsung can force the app manufacters ( Netflix, youtube, amazon, etc) to compile an updated app. But for old TV models those manufactures do not update their apps.

Imagine you are Netflix. You must make your app work with every new TV. Some of them use android TV. Other use Tizen or even other systems. Every year the TV update their software versions. So you have to maintain several versions of the app, update it... 

The result? Only maintain the last versions.. the last Tv models.. Old models will get stuck, no updates, no new features

0 Likes
fjpadilla
Apprentice
Options

Hi Soxbrother.
Do you see the ATMOS logo in the Netflix show you're traying to see?

If you see it:
a) The netflix app CAN 'see' a ATMOS capable device conected, so it is sending dolby + Atmos through the ARC hdmi to that device ( soundbar I asume). So if you don't get atmos, check that the language you have selected is indeed ATMOS. Not all available lenguages form a show have ATMOS.

if you DON'T see it:
a) The netflix app in the TV or in the 4k player can't stream Dolby Atmos. You can't do anything. Wait for an update ( if it will arrive anytime)
b) If the app CAN stream dolby atmos, perhaps you have not selected Dolby Digital ++ as sound output on the TV or 4K player

0 Likes
Soxbrother
Explorer
Options

Hi fjpadilla,

Thanks for your reply.

I don't see the Atmos logo, no.

But I'm sure it's the app's fault, not my hardware.

Because, when connected to my pc, it does work with the Windows10 Netflix app.

0 Likes
rojw13
Pioneer
Options

Samsung is a very big company. I'm sure if they were genuinely interested they could work with Netflix to update the app.

LG and sony have both been well ahead of Samsung in this respect. that coupled with the fact that atmos cant be passed through one connect boxes makes it a total mess! 

Loft85
Explorer
Options

The Netflix app on my Samsung supports atmos it's my hw-k950 that don't or the TV that don't 

0 Likes
Laino
First Poster
Options
so... im read here some pages but still not sure...

I have a Samsung Q8FN 2018 version... and connected to a AV-receiver from Denon...
Netflix is the ultra version...
Should i get see Atmos on some series/Movies, or not?
When yes, any settings i have to do?
0 Likes
Smazza1970
Pathfinder
Options

Hi 

Ah that soundbar is only Dolby 5.1 afraid not atmos so that will be why 

0 Likes
Soxbrother
Explorer
Options

@Loft85 I also have the HW-K950 soundbar.

Just connect a pc with Windows10 to the soundbar with hdmi and open the dolby access app and set it up for Dolby Atmos.

You normally have to set it up once. But once in a while it seems to forget that and the volume icon shows that it's setup as stereo. When this is the case, just open the dolby access app again and redo the setup for Atmos. 

The Netflix app on Windows10 then plays Atmos from series/movies that have it.

Good luck !!

0 Likes
Loft85
Explorer
Options
Hey Soxbrother thanks for the advice. I've tried to connect it but the in the spacial sound settings it won't accept when I try to set it to dolby atmos? Did you have any trouble with this?
0 Likes