Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why no Dolby Atmos on samsung Netflix App???

(Topic created on: 27-04-2019 12:04 PM)
Leet2274
Pioneer
Options

i have Q9FN and HW N850 Atmos Soundbar

when using Netflix App on the TV, i went into Expert Audio Settings and it lets me select "dolby digital +" for audio ouput

the hw n850 sounbar supports Atmos

yet when on netlfix still only get crappy 5.1 sound

ive owned a sony xf9005 recently and their netflix app gives Dolby Atmos sound using "dolby digital +" , yes it is "lossy" dolby atmos but still sounds much better than DD 5.1

so my question is why are Samsung not updating their Netflix App to have Dolby Atmos. i have what is required here, dolby digital + selected on q9fn and atmos capable hw n850 soundbar. this is all thats required for "lossy Dolby Atmos" same as you get on 2018 sony & LG tv's

come on samsung, please sort this out by updating to a atmos capable Netflix APP version. its all thats needed

its bad enough having no DTS after spending £2000 on your tv & sounbar, the very least you can do to keep customers a little bit happier is Fix this one

632 REPLIES 632
Smazza1970
Pathfinder
Options
hi watts1204
hdmi 2.0 can only support 4k at 60fps due to the lower bandwidth of 18gb per second in the cable and chip that decodes it on the tv. For full 4k at 120fps utilising the full 120hz panel you need at least 40gb per second to be able to go through the cable and the chip to be able to process that data the way 4k @ 120fps is sent through the cable is a completely different signal which is not easily changed via a firmware update I am afraid its all about color depth as well. if you want to understand more on why this is not possible please check out howtogeek website and on you tube hdtv test they are very good sources of information about the latest tech and what you will need to be ready for ps5 or xbox series x and the higher frame rates etc. I am already looking for great black Friday prices for possibly the q90t or the sony 900h although most reviews do already recommend the q90t. oled for me would be to risky for screen burn and lack of brightness in the daytime viewing.
0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options

The Q90R does 120hz 4k and with freesync. It is in port 4 2.0b with 24gb bandwidth just enough to run the new consoles. I have the Xbox series x and runs everything, freesync, 120hz 4k, etc, bar dolby atmos

0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options

Yes it does, if atmos is showing dolby atmos logo and your running through the Samsung q90r soundbar and set to dolby atmos compatible and dolby digial + in your sound settings your getting atmos

0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options

You don't need 2.1 on the Q90R tv. I am getting 120hz 4k with my Xbox series X the only thing I cannot get on series x is atmos, everything else I can

0 Likes
WATTS1204
Explorer
Options

Hi @denodan 

I imagine the Q70R can do the same as on some review sites they list it as a 4k 120hz panel and technically it is possible.

what hdmi port should I be using port 4 do you think?

many thanks

0 Likes
Smazza1970
Pathfinder
Options
hi
yes you will get 4k on 120hz panel but you won't get 120fps only 60fps please watch HDTV test on you tube Vincent is an expert calibration technician and he explains what is and isn't possible with older TV sets also stop the fomo is an excellent channel to subscribe to again explaining why 2.1 hdmi is definitely needed to get full bandwidth 40gbs to run series x console or ps5 with 120fps which should not be confused with just using 120hz refresh rate these are 2 different things which the older chips in the tv cannot process yet the only option available would be an updated one connect box from Samsung however not heard of anyone getting the upgraded version of that. so yes your technically correct the panel can display it but not at a full 120 fps which is needed to get the full power of the new consoles and graphics cards on pc
0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options

But I am getting full 120hz on MY Q90R

0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options

While this is not my Q90R, it was from another guy I was chatting to and both arw getting 120hz or 120fps. If I need to prove it to you mate can take a photo of mine at a later stage. I can tell you the Q90R is and can do 120hz, which all tvs have it as either 60 or 120hz or 60fps or 120fps, same thing. The new update even gives us freesync at 120hz, which it never did on the older firmware. So rather than post a picture directly and saving time had a picture from someone else showing in fact getting 120hz with freesync. You don't know what your talking about 

received_3474594089286126.jpeg

0 Likes
Smazza1970
Pathfinder
Options
hi
I repeat 120hz is a refresh rate of the tv which is possible on hdmi 2.0. 120 fps is frame's per second which is not possible on hdmi 2.0 just watch the you tube videos I suggested you will understand what I am saying
0 Likes
Smazza1970
Pathfinder
Options
you will be getting 120fps at 1080p on hdmi 2.0 to get 120fps on a 120hz tv you must have hdmi 2.1 please please just do the research I know what I'm talking about by watching those YouTube videos from the experts
0 Likes