Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why no Dolby Atmos on samsung Netflix App???

(Topic created on: 15-01-2022 05:04 PM)
Leet2274
Pioneer
Options

i have Q9FN and HW N850 Atmos Soundbar

when using Netflix App on the TV, i went into Expert Audio Settings and it lets me select "dolby digital +" for audio ouput

the hw n850 sounbar supports Atmos

yet when on netlfix still only get crappy 5.1 sound

ive owned a sony xf9005 recently and their netflix app gives Dolby Atmos sound using "dolby digital +" , yes it is "lossy" dolby atmos but still sounds much better than DD 5.1

so my question is why are Samsung not updating their Netflix App to have Dolby Atmos. i have what is required here, dolby digital + selected on q9fn and atmos capable hw n850 soundbar. this is all thats required for "lossy Dolby Atmos" same as you get on 2018 sony & LG tv's

come on samsung, please sort this out by updating to a atmos capable Netflix APP version. its all thats needed

its bad enough having no DTS after spending £2000 on your tv & sounbar, the very least you can do to keep customers a little bit happier is Fix this one

632 REPLIES 632
Smazza1970
Pathfinder
Options
Agreed on the soundbar however even though the tv is the.low end of the 2020 qled range with no support for 120hz and 120fps on next gen consoles it can output dolby atmos via e arc as long as correct sound settings are selected such as digital plus auto and pass through allowed on sound, try that as a possible compromise but you won't get proper full blown atmos afraid the sound bar just ain't up to the job
0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options

It won't output atmos on the low end soundbar you have. If you want atmos  then need a much better sound bar. The TV with Earc will enable atmos, but your soundbar is not capable of outputting  atmos. It's like saying if my tv has earc I should get almost through a single speaker, which is impossible. Simple fact your soundbar is not possible to output atmos or allow earc to output atmos to your low end soundbar.

0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options

No dolby + will only be atmos if your sound bar is capable of it. The TV itself is not atmos, so no way are you ever going to get dolby + to work unless your soundbar is atmos capable. Dolby + is only for atmos and if your soundbar cannot do atmos, or your tv then won't get it. It's just not available to you.

I have the q90r tv and soundbar and my tv outputs atmos to soundbar with dolby + simply because my soundbar has atmos inbuilt. My Xbox bypasses tv altogether and the Xbox does its own processing and gets atmos output on soundbar

0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options

Get a decent soundbar which has atmos built in and you will get atmos. A good capable atmos soundbar is not cheap, not low end like you have. Certially not on a 3.1 system. Mine is 7.1.2 channels. With your setup no way can you get atmos and spend the money on a decent capable atmos capable soundbar.

0 Likes
LG_A
Journeyman
Options

Hi,

Just wanted to ask experts if I miss anything.

Setup:

TV - Samsung QE55Q90RAT

Soundbar - SAMSUNG HARMAN/KARDON HW-N850 (both Atmos + HDR capable)

PC

2.1 HDMI cables

Connection:

PC HDMI OUT < SOUNDBAR (HDMI1)

SOUNDBAR (HDMI ARC) < TV (HDMI ARC)

Problem:

When in Samsung TV options (External Device Manager/extend HDMI input) - this setting allows to pass HDR signal to PC. Under Nvdia options I am able to set 4:2:2 with 10bit (although with limited colour range).

Problem is this setting impacts Dolby Atmos - when above setting ) extend HDMI input) is ticked in TV I get no Dolby Atmos (scrolling text) shown on a Soundbar.

When extend HDMI input option is not ticked in TV - Dolby Atmos shows on soundbar screen.

I suspect both HDR+Atmos is possible in my setup (even though soundbar does not display it, I could see 8 channels status when playing movies).

Any ideas why this is happening?

0 Likes
Tozser
First Poster
Options

I had the same problem.

Visit Netflix.com, go to settings through laptop/desktop and find Playback Settings. Set it as High at "Data usage per screen" and you will have Dolby Atmos.

0 Likes
tktoldo
First Poster
Options

Hi! I just bought a Q800A and I've been having a similar issue.

When I do the whole open an Atmos compatible movie and select Digital+, then go straight to other atmos compatible apps, it works. But, if I go first to TV, Youtube or another non-compatible app, I have to do the whole process again when I want Atmos. I mean, every single time, and that's very upsetting.

Do you guys found a solution for that? Or you don't have this issue?

0 Likes
Travisw123
First Poster
Options

I am having the same issue and it's driving me crazy.  No ATMOS from the native Netflix app.  I have a 85" QN90a with the Q990b soundbar.  I have verified:

1.  Netflix subscription is highest plan and have the data set as high

2. eARC is setup correctly.  I have no problem getting Atmost from Disney+ and VUDU apps.

3. HDMI settings are correct

4. TV sound expert settings are correct

What am I doing wrong?  My bedroom tv is TCL 6 series roku and Netflix shows dolby correctly.

0 Likes
Dannyv
Journeyman
Options

Occasionally atmos works on the native Amazon Prime app but thats it. Let go of it. If it doesnt work now, it never will. I now use my Windows (with Dolby app) laptop now to get netflix atmos on my system. Just connect it via hdmi to soundbar. Use passthrough via arc for video. On tv set source on soundbar. This always works for me

0 Likes
_oSo_
Navigator
Options

Lately I’ve been noticing the following issue with Netflix and my QLED Q90r Samsung tv and soundbar. When selecting a movie that has the Dolby atmos doing the app show s only 5.1 available. When starting to play the movie it then detects de Dolby atmos and the soundbar shows the atmos on the screen. No matter how high atmos movie I play it will show initially a 5.1 until it starts playing. After that the movie information screen and the soundbar will display the atmos sound.