Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why no Dolby Atmos on samsung Netflix App???

(Topic created on: 22-05-2021 02:30 PM)
Leet2274
Pioneer
Options

i have Q9FN and HW N850 Atmos Soundbar

when using Netflix App on the TV, i went into Expert Audio Settings and it lets me select "dolby digital +" for audio ouput

the hw n850 sounbar supports Atmos

yet when on netlfix still only get crappy 5.1 sound

ive owned a sony xf9005 recently and their netflix app gives Dolby Atmos sound using "dolby digital +" , yes it is "lossy" dolby atmos but still sounds much better than DD 5.1

so my question is why are Samsung not updating their Netflix App to have Dolby Atmos. i have what is required here, dolby digital + selected on q9fn and atmos capable hw n850 soundbar. this is all thats required for "lossy Dolby Atmos" same as you get on 2018 sony & LG tv's

come on samsung, please sort this out by updating to a atmos capable Netflix APP version. its all thats needed

its bad enough having no DTS after spending £2000 on your tv & sounbar, the very least you can do to keep customers a little bit happier is Fix this one

632 REPLIES 632
rojw13
Pioneer
Options

Glad you took the low end bit about the Tv out lol

0 Likes
Atmosbeliever
Student
Options

I 100% agree. I have Samsung a new 2021 Neo UHD TV, roku ultra 2020 newest version and new Dolby atmos samsung soundbar 11.1.4.  All software and firmware fully updated.  I can get true dolby atmos only from YouTube.  Both in the TV YouTube app and on the roku YouTube app.  So I know the roku is passing through the full Dolby atmos.  The Dolby Atmos YouTube videos have amazing samples of what Atmos can do.  The youtube samples of Gemini man with Dolby Atmos and Dolby vision are just STUNNING!!!  The real true full HD Dolby Atmos is out of this world.   However, on my Samsung TV apps for Vudu, Netflix, and prime I get no full Dolby atmos.   On my roku ultra 4800 2020 set to audio pass through I get NO TRUE DOLBY ATMOS, even if the TV and soundbar say it is!   It is not.  All you need to do is watch Gemini man on YouTube and compare it tk roku or directly on samsung app.  The sound is not the same.  I just watched Kong.  It registers as Atmos so it is passing some form of limited Dolby Atmos.   This defeats the entire purpose of Dolby Atmos.  It’s also an extremely bad idea for Dolby to allow this.  It makes most people think Dolby 5.1 is as good as Atmos.  Anyone that hears this in my hous EBE lives this is true.  UNTIL I PLAY THEM SAMPLES OF ATMOS FROM YOUTUBE!!! Like the Dolby atmos videos from Dolby and Gemini man clips.   Please everyone write to Netflix, Amazon, Vudu , Dolby, roku etc and demand full true HD Dolby atmos from these apps. 
(as of May 2021).  I hoping it’s fixed by June 2021

0 Likes
Atmosbeliever
Student
Options

I don’t believe you want the TV or Roku set to Dolby DD+ because the TV or the Roku is deciding instead of the AV receiver or the soundbar.   Your AV receiver or soundbar is where you want the digital decoding to happen in its purest high quality form.   I also believe Roku states that they only support dolby atmos with digital pass through.  I am by no means an expert.   If an AV expert can help clear this up it would help everyone on this forum.  I clearly get full dolby atmos pass through on Roku, from YouTube, and from samsung TV app YouTube.  But not from Vudu, Amazon, or Netflix on Roku apps or TV apps.  Even if the sound bar and TV says it atmos it is not full Dolby atmos.  

0 Likes
Smazza1970
Pathfinder
Options
Hi
Sorry but very confused on your comment about YouTube and dolby atmos. You tube does not stream anything in dolby atmos. They only stream stereo sound even the dolby trailers are not full dolby sound trailers
0 Likes
Smazza1970
Pathfinder
Options
Unlike other services, YouTube TV doesn’t currently stream any content in 4K HD or HDR (high dynamic range) quality. Don’t worry; the cat videos we talked about earlier still look as cute as ever.

YouTube TV’s content streams with standard 2.0 stereo audio, but Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound (the audio quality you get with Blu-ray discs) isn’t yet available with the service.

This quote is from a quick search on cable.tv website about the new you tube tv streaming service
0 Likes
scb05
First Poster
Options

Check your Netflix settings - log in on web, under Account on your Profile, change playback settings to HIGH

0 Likes
Lat0r
Student
Options

Same situation with a Q60T and Q600A e-arc soundbar        no Atmos on Netflix, Samsung support keeps going around in circles, not admitting blame and not doing anything to fix it.

My last Samsung TV for sure...

0 Likes
Smazza1970
Pathfinder
Options
Hi buddy
This soundbar Is a 3.1.2 speaker system and downmixes surround to stereo and tries to make the sound stage wider to give the effect of atmos, as such when it talks to the tv it won't fully show as an atmos compatible device meaning that netflix on the tv won't give you atmos afraid, its not a fault of the tv I recently upgraded to the q90t from nu8000 and also had the tv calibrated professionally I already built an av system with reciever and run a 9.1 system and get atmos from tv netflix app, sorry for you issue but as much as they try soundbars never really compete with a full home theatre setup
0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options

That's because your soundbar cannot do atmos, as looking at the specs it's a cheap one, only a 3.1 system, not capable of atmos. Also the tv is very low end

0 Likes
castroGstar
Apprentice
Options

As I had guessed, Netflix is the only native app able to send the Atmos signal to the soundbar. None of the other native apps are updated to do this.

After connecting a chromecast, all of the other apps now trigger the soundbar to properly play the Atmos sound track.

You can validate this 2 ways:

1. The Atmos icon appears in the listing for the content

2. The soundbar displays "Atmos" scrolling across the screen when it is receiving an Atmos sound profile. 

Hope that helps

0 Likes