Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why no Dolby Atmos on samsung Netflix App???

(Topic created on: 19-01-2021 04:44 PM)
Leet2274
Pioneer
Options

i have Q9FN and HW N850 Atmos Soundbar

when using Netflix App on the TV, i went into Expert Audio Settings and it lets me select "dolby digital +" for audio ouput

the hw n850 sounbar supports Atmos

yet when on netlfix still only get crappy 5.1 sound

ive owned a sony xf9005 recently and their netflix app gives Dolby Atmos sound using "dolby digital +" , yes it is "lossy" dolby atmos but still sounds much better than DD 5.1

so my question is why are Samsung not updating their Netflix App to have Dolby Atmos. i have what is required here, dolby digital + selected on q9fn and atmos capable hw n850 soundbar. this is all thats required for "lossy Dolby Atmos" same as you get on 2018 sony & LG tv's

come on samsung, please sort this out by updating to a atmos capable Netflix APP version. its all thats needed

its bad enough having no DTS after spending £2000 on your tv & sounbar, the very least you can do to keep customers a little bit happier is Fix this one

632 REPLIES 632
Smazza1970
Pathfinder
Options
hi
you might want to watch the latestest video on YouTube from HDTV titled hdmi 2.1 bug on denon avr that explains more about what I was saying about the chips not being compatible on TV and some amp's.
it also highlights the requirements for a proper 120hz and 120fps with full 10bit colour, that although you are able to select 120hz on your q90r you are not getting the true rate that only hdmi 2.1 offers. this guy Vincent knows his stuff and his videos are my go to place when I need info
0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options

Yes I am, if I was not getting 120fps the tv would not allow me to select it. Even the tv settings in Xbox says 120fps am able to select it. The Q90R certianly does 120fps. It has wider bandwidth than normal hdmi 2.0 its hdmi 2.0b and a custom version, but only works on hdmi port 4

0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options

On hdmi 4 its 24gb bandwidth not 18gb of hdmi 2.0 and only hdmi 4 will work. Also get VRR and FRC. The hdmi bug only effects some receivers and does not effect tvs, on HDTV he mentions this, its hdmi bug with a certian Panasonic hdmi chip. And he also said going through your tv will be fine 

0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options

I am not the only one who is getting 120fps on Samsung Q90R, its bandwidth is 24gb, not 18. The rest of the ports on the one box are 2.0, the 4th is 2.0b. The only thing won't get 12bit colour, evrn though the Q90R is selectable.

Also the recent firmware allows VRR at 120hz, before the update was selectable, but mucked up the screen. Also game mode seems clearer

0 Likes
Smazza1970
Pathfinder
Options
oh yeah i understand what your saying but as he says hdmi standard was made for 48gbps x box series x is capping it at 40gbps playstation is doing the same. its just so annoying that new consoles were announced over a year ago and only now this year's tvs are partly 2.1 ready with compromises and next year's tv will be probably be the same. not good when you want to fully enjoy the new conosle as games come out late 2021 that also use full power of the machine. irs nearly as bad as the beta max and vhs war. choice is get an lg oled and picture will be great with all hdr formats including dolby vision and atmos but does drop brightness when a bright image comes on to save the panel, but still possible burn in. or get an led which supports both and lose details in black levels and have poor blooming effects like the sony x90h or lg nano cell or get probably the best led in a Samsung qled and get 1 hdmi 2.1 port and no chance of getting dolby vision drives me mad when trying to make the best choice for upgrading
0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options

Just because your tv has Dolby Visiin does not mean its great. Just like a cheap TV wont have good HDR depends on how well your tv processes the picture. Dolby vision is well over hyped and seen and heard examples very little difference and very minor to not worth worrying about. Samsung does very good HDR processing compared to many tvs. I dont miss Dolby Vision and really needs a 12bit tv panel to make full use as its really designed for 12bit much brighter screens, so not working at its best potential on a 10bit screen and why little difference over HDR

0 Likes
Smazza1970
Pathfinder
Options
hi
thats good information thanks at the moment think I have narrowed it down to the q90t or the q80t. Still a big price difference of 400 pound in the UK but the q90t does seem to go brighter and have better contrast and local dimming control although less zones than your q90r. the sony x90h looks really good but has too much blooming problems for my liking but better motion control. I still like the blacks on my nu8000 to be honest and thats edge lit
0 Likes
stormhold
Apprentice
Options

Hi guys! I've read this topic, but I can't say I've seen a solution for Q6F TVs. Or maybe I've missed it... 

So, I have the same issue reported by so many others. If I'm using the internal app to run a mkv movie that supports Dolby Atmos, it works perfectly with my Q70T soundbar. It is also working if I use prime app. My problem is that Dolby Atmos does not work for Netlifx app. 

I've tried to:

- start a movie (Dolby Atmos available) with the internal app, and then switch to Netflix

- I've updated soundbar's firmware via Smart things app

- I already have the latest firmware on the TV

- being a 2018 TV, I cannot find any Input Signal Plus or Atmos Compatibility menu setting

Do you know if there is workaround here? Thank you so much!

0 Likes
Noddy
Explorer
Options

Hi, when I had this issue I done a hard factory reset on the TV and it restored atmos (via digital +)

You can try soft reset 1st by holding down the power button on the remote.

Also make sure tv setting has digital + enabled on audio (probably check this 1st)

0 Likes
stormhold
Apprentice
Options

Yes, the Dolby Digital+ is selected. The reset didn't helped, unfortunately. 

0 Likes