Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why no Dolby Atmos on samsung Netflix App???

(Topic created on: 29-07-2020 09:23 PM)
Leet2274
Pioneer
Options

i have Q9FN and HW N850 Atmos Soundbar

when using Netflix App on the TV, i went into Expert Audio Settings and it lets me select "dolby digital +" for audio ouput

the hw n850 sounbar supports Atmos

yet when on netlfix still only get crappy 5.1 sound

ive owned a sony xf9005 recently and their netflix app gives Dolby Atmos sound using "dolby digital +" , yes it is "lossy" dolby atmos but still sounds much better than DD 5.1

so my question is why are Samsung not updating their Netflix App to have Dolby Atmos. i have what is required here, dolby digital + selected on q9fn and atmos capable hw n850 soundbar. this is all thats required for "lossy Dolby Atmos" same as you get on 2018 sony & LG tv's

come on samsung, please sort this out by updating to a atmos capable Netflix APP version. its all thats needed

its bad enough having no DTS after spending £2000 on your tv & sounbar, the very least you can do to keep customers a little bit happier is Fix this one

632 REPLIES 632
TeeHee
Apprentice
Options

I am pretty sure it's Amazon pulling the plug on Atmos streaming (maybe just temporarily, who knows). I having been using ATV 4k to streams since Samsung's native app hasn't worked for me with Netflix (i.e., this entire thread).  I got Jack Ryan and Homecoming in Atmos before but just now they are streaming in non-Atmos. This strongly suggests that both Samsung app and external device are not streaming Atmos anymore because of Amazon.

0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options

I get atmos through tv netflix app. While I don't have prime. Looked through movies in a trial period and none displayed atmos. Amazon pulled atmos off prime i think.

0 Likes
TeeHee
Apprentice
Options

Exactly. Amazon-Jack Ryan used to be the gold standard here for us to troubleshoot Netflix Atmos problem. Alas, not anymore.

0 Likes
erliomQ90r
Apprentice
Options

I accidentally updated the soundbar through SmartThings. I have tried to download the firmware on a USB and force the update (hoping that would improve something as I would prefer higher volume on the satellites, both with Atmos and without) but the update process only takes a couple of seconds so I'm guessing the soundbar feels it is up to date. Can I force the update on the soundbar even though I have the latest firmware through the app? 

0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options

I have alk my speakers set to 6 so full. Depending on the movie some make use of the rear speakers some don't. All movies vary on how they use the rear speakers. Just set them to full channel volume.

0 Likes
erliomQ90r
Apprentice
Options

A shame there's not more Atmos content out there. Watched 6 Underground, nice sound experience with the Q90R setup 

0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options

Got atmos 4k bluray disks and play on my Xbox which is directly into soundbar and is amazing. Atmos on Netflix is only 5.1 so wont make good use of atmos

0 Likes
erliomQ90r
Apprentice
Options

Do you buy a Blu-ray movie every time you want to watch it or do you download? A couple of movies a week can get expensive haha 

0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options

Buy them. Most download able ones  are poor quality and can be hard to find a good source.

0 Likes
bamaboi89
Journeyman
Options

Search Atmos it's close to 180 shows and movies with Atmos on Netflix