Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why no Dolby Atmos on samsung Netflix App???

(Topic created on: 13-06-2020 08:44 AM)
Leet2274
Pioneer
Options

i have Q9FN and HW N850 Atmos Soundbar

when using Netflix App on the TV, i went into Expert Audio Settings and it lets me select "dolby digital +" for audio ouput

the hw n850 sounbar supports Atmos

yet when on netlfix still only get crappy 5.1 sound

ive owned a sony xf9005 recently and their netflix app gives Dolby Atmos sound using "dolby digital +" , yes it is "lossy" dolby atmos but still sounds much better than DD 5.1

so my question is why are Samsung not updating their Netflix App to have Dolby Atmos. i have what is required here, dolby digital + selected on q9fn and atmos capable hw n850 soundbar. this is all thats required for "lossy Dolby Atmos" same as you get on 2018 sony & LG tv's

come on samsung, please sort this out by updating to a atmos capable Netflix APP version. its all thats needed

its bad enough having no DTS after spending £2000 on your tv & sounbar, the very least you can do to keep customers a little bit happier is Fix this one

632 REPLIES 632
Smazza1970
Pathfinder
Options
Can you provide picture of the sound mode showing on the expert settings of the tv and an atmos film on the tv apps. And a version of the firmware so it would help to see what the setup is. For some a work around after the update took out atmos decoding has been found but the website also says for others it doesn't work
Thanks
0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options
Sony's ps5 Tempest 3D engine maybe better than dolby atmos and will give 3D sound even through your tv speakers so atmos with a ps5 touch maybe getting superior 3D sound.

Trouble is to optimize it needs to be adjusted to custom set for your personal need as everyone's head and ears are different, it would be possible to have you input photos of your head and ears and does a custom setting for your use. But has the potential to maybe better atmos with no need for expensive gear.
WATTS1204
Explorer
Options
Sorry yes Denodan I was saying tv speakers won’t really provide Atmos and yes you will get good use of Atmos from your high end Soundbar (and of course the best from a setup like mine with dedicated larger speakers in surround). I would love to have the Q90R soundbar in my bedroom setup with limited space but the cost is astonishingly crazy.

Glad you are having good times with Atmos as I love my deep bass and immersion with my movies but my neighbours must hate me, well I have one neighbour, a nice young woman and erm well she’s still not Come round yet complaining dam it lol 😂
0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options
That's good. Yeah space for me is limited so though would go for one of the best soundbars. Any volume over 22 is to loud and would get neighbors complaining. Works much better the the older 5.1 system I had and can get very bassy. It's great for a soundbar and guess you get what you pay for.

Yes wont match a dedicated system but just the amp would cost more or not much less than the soundbar and you still need speakers.

It's good enough for my needs and integrates with my Q90R tv. In sound settings on tv it gives you an equalizer so you can custom your own settings to your liking.
0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options
Csn you accually post pictures here?
Victordlsb
Explorer
Options

That's not really correct. Atmos via dolby Digital+ is Atmos. These are two different things. Dolby Atmos can be transmitted encoded in Dolby TrueHD, which is lossless uncompressed audio, or via Dolby Digital+, which is compressed and lossy. The equivalent would be a Stereo song in both .Wav and .mp3. The song remains in stereo, but the first is uncompressed and the second is compressed, which might reduce the final quality of the audio (yet we are at a compression level that makes it very hard to differentiate)

denodan
Navigator
Options

@ghylxdw wrote:

This works for me, thank you so much!

So now you got it worked out?

0 Likes
ghylxdw
Apprentice
Options
This works for me, thank you!
0 Likes
ghylxdw
Apprentice
Options

This works for me, thank you!

0 Likes
ghylxdw
Apprentice
Options
Shoot I have no idea how to quote/rely an existing post...

But this solution works for me (from page 29)
"
This helped me (solution is on p 29):

1. start Prime Video on TV - start DA content (eg Suspiria is in DA);

2. using Samsung's TV remote - go to settings/sound/advanced settings/format.

You should be able to select some entries.

Choose PCM first. Then repeat and choose Dolby+.

3. exit Prime Video

4. start netflix app on TV

5. go to eg Dark - you should be able to see Dolby Atmos logo instead of 5.1

That worked on my setup.
"