Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why no Dolby Atmos on samsung Netflix App???

(Topic created on: 13-06-2020 07:37 AM)
Leet2274
Pioneer
Options

i have Q9FN and HW N850 Atmos Soundbar

when using Netflix App on the TV, i went into Expert Audio Settings and it lets me select "dolby digital +" for audio ouput

the hw n850 sounbar supports Atmos

yet when on netlfix still only get crappy 5.1 sound

ive owned a sony xf9005 recently and their netflix app gives Dolby Atmos sound using "dolby digital +" , yes it is "lossy" dolby atmos but still sounds much better than DD 5.1

so my question is why are Samsung not updating their Netflix App to have Dolby Atmos. i have what is required here, dolby digital + selected on q9fn and atmos capable hw n850 soundbar. this is all thats required for "lossy Dolby Atmos" same as you get on 2018 sony & LG tv's

come on samsung, please sort this out by updating to a atmos capable Netflix APP version. its all thats needed

its bad enough having no DTS after spending £2000 on your tv & sounbar, the very least you can do to keep customers a little bit happier is Fix this one

632 REPLIES 632
rojw13
Pioneer
Options

The fact that you can get atmos on prime (crazy that it's only one program -  Jack Ryan) means the hardware is fine. 
it's all software/ licensing (choice) that restricts atmos on some Samsung models.

0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options
I am not complaining get atmos on my tv with netflix app and runs atmos through soundbar. It works for me so satisfied.

The only quirk is wont get atmos through xbox unless its plugged directly into hdmi port on soundbar.

Otherwise get atmos through my tv using soundbar and my shield gets atmos so I am enjoying it is working fine.
0 Likes
WATTS1204
Explorer
Options

You do realise how Atmos works? It’s a positional based surround sound system which is going to be pretty rubbish though a TV, no wait I stand corrected pointless through a tv speaker and a sound bar.

Atmos uses height  / ceiling speakers and can send effects to these speakers that require the sound i.e. rain or thunder storms etc forctrie immersion. How are you going to get that effect through a tv so pointless even worrying about Atmos through your TV speakers.

I have a 5.2.2 Atmos setup and a Sony STR 1080 amp which shows the Atmos logo running through arc to amp with hdmi.

Netflix titles show Atmos and as it passes the sound through I’m pretty sure no license is needed this way as my amp decodes it and my amp already paid the royalties to have the technology built into the amplifier.

see below

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options
Well my Q90R soundbar comes up with Dolby atmos when playing through soundbar.
0 Likes
WATTS1204
Explorer
Options
There is a bug with Atmos working I had issues but any Atmos certified soundbar should work perfectly as all the tv does is pass the atmos information over HDMi for your sound bar to decode, the tv does not decode anything.

While you get Atmos I’m a sound bar you don’t get the proper effect what Atmos was made for.

It’s like putting race car fuel in a robin reliant car, sure it will drive but kinda wasted on that type of car.
0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options

Well playing Xbox games I get sound all around me. Even hear it bouncing off the roof. Lighting overhead and gunshots all around the room. Some soundbars are not true atmos or simulated, but the Q90R is a true atmos system. Even the demo the give you in the Xbox atmos app where you set up atmos even that get full atmos. Sounds coming behind and hear sounds all around me and above.

There is content that does not even make full use of atmos. I know with Netflix they only use 5.1 atmos not 7.1.4 that my soundbar does a lot of sound bars dont even have rear speakers. The Q90R is not your standard soundbar.

The Q90R is one of the best out there and all reviews claim atmos on it works well with sounds all around. So I am getting true real atmos.

I think with all the reviews about it doing atmos and how good it is with the Q90R they and myself would disagree with you.

Sure wont be as good as a dedicated sound system,? But still works with full effect. Not everyone has the room or can have a dedicated system set up how it should be. But the Q90R does very well as all reviews I have seen rate it right up there with the best soundbars you can buy. There is only one better from what I have seen, Costs more and has 2 subwoofers and over 1000 watt output and the cost is even more the the Q90R and is wired.

0 Likes
Smazza1970
Pathfinder
Options
Exactly well said
Your sound bar maybe showing atmos but in reality it isn't true atmos the TV will be outputting dd+ which is not true atmos.
Regarding the xbox you need to download the atmos app and run through the setup it will them easily tell you if your tv or amp cannot manage a true atmos signal.
My quote came from a tech website and it also says how the latest firmware update downgraded the atmos facility.
after a year of trying everything with this tv it will not out put true dolby atmos through hdmi.
You have to plug xbox or 4k blu ray directly into amplifier or sound bar.
Regarding prime in the UK they have reduced streaming to normal 5.1 and hd to save bandwidth while more are at home.
I can only guess the sound mode selected on soundbar is set to dolby atmos but it is also true that you can listen to music tracks in atmos mode but reality is that its not the real deal it just uses all speakers to send the sound out.
Trust me look at various websites such as rtings.com you will clearly see from experts samsung TVs struggle to properly decode dolby atmos
0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options
Yeah got my xbox setup through atmos app to use atmos on my xbox and the app does say if atmos is enabled or not. Yeah the tv itself wont do atmos but going using the soundbar and not tv speakers will get atmos through soundbar as its putting sound though and using soundbar not tv. Xbox won't get atmos unless its straight through soundbar hdmi ports
0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options
But yes the tv itself wont do atmos only going through soundbar
0 Likes
ghylxdw
Apprentice
Options

This works for me, thank you so much!

0 Likes