Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why no Dolby Atmos on samsung Netflix App???

(Topic created on: 31-05-2020 10:47 AM)
Leet2274
Pioneer
Options

i have Q9FN and HW N850 Atmos Soundbar

when using Netflix App on the TV, i went into Expert Audio Settings and it lets me select "dolby digital +" for audio ouput

the hw n850 sounbar supports Atmos

yet when on netlfix still only get crappy 5.1 sound

ive owned a sony xf9005 recently and their netflix app gives Dolby Atmos sound using "dolby digital +" , yes it is "lossy" dolby atmos but still sounds much better than DD 5.1

so my question is why are Samsung not updating their Netflix App to have Dolby Atmos. i have what is required here, dolby digital + selected on q9fn and atmos capable hw n850 soundbar. this is all thats required for "lossy Dolby Atmos" same as you get on 2018 sony & LG tv's

come on samsung, please sort this out by updating to a atmos capable Netflix APP version. its all thats needed

its bad enough having no DTS after spending £2000 on your tv & sounbar, the very least you can do to keep customers a little bit happier is Fix this one

632 REPLIES 632
denodan
Navigator
Options

No needs full surround speakers. The Samsung s9 says atmos also  but not real atmos as you need speakers in the roof or speakers that bounce the sound off the ceiling. It's impossible to get proper atmos without updating speakers and using xbox x through sound bar is like night and day and get sound bounced off my roof. Adds that extra punch to the sound and hear it all round the room. Impossible through normal tv speakers.

0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options
What a joke. The s9 and s10 is not even proper atmos? Do you hear the sound all around you and bouncing off your roof? It maybe a type of atmos but not proper atmos. Not enough speakers or upfiring speakers for real atmos. The atmos they advitise is a gimmick. There is no way a phone can push sound all in full 3d 360 space.
0 Likes
rojw13
Pioneer
Options

Not really getting the ethos of what atmos is are you? 

the Screenshot below is from Dolbys own web site..

There are better or more effective implementations agreed but they are still certified as atmos and will have elements of the effect.

Screenshot (152).png

0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options
The only atmos you will be getting is simulated, virtual atmos. Not genuine or real atmos. And here is am article on it.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/dolby-atmos-sound/
0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options
Yes simulated. Not real. A virtual atmos. Want the full effect you still must have a full surround system and either upward firing speakers or in your roof is a must. A virtual atmos wont fire sound behind you or from the roof to complete the proper effect.
0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options
Like I said its impossible to get true atmos through a 2.1 system and its simulated atmos. There is a hugh differince if your listening through your xbox while gaming compared to a simulated atmos through your tv. The difference is still night and day
0 Likes
rojw13
Pioneer
Options

not disagreeing with that point it is impossible to get true (full) atmos with any soundbar.

to use your own wording then I'll rephrase my initial point to see if it helps.

Why do LG TV's now mostly have (simulated) atmos and Samsung do not?

its rhetorical btw as the answer is they do not like to pay for licensing.

denodan
Navigator
Options
Who knows? I would not touch LG. A work mate has the LG c9 and he has burn in allready and does not play games. Seen my Q90R and said it's a better clearer picture and his colours look cold. My soundbar also has rear firing speakers and 4 up firing atmos speakers up with enough volume get full 360 sound in from behind sides and from the roof.
0 Likes
Smazza1970
Pathfinder
Options
Hi you are correct and well pointed out I tried to explain this a while back. I ain't intrested in using the tv speakers I have an av receiver and 7.2 speakers the 2 being 2 subs I wish if your coming into a forum so would at least do some homework. And just for the record LG 2020 nano cell and oled do try to do the simulated atmos and I believe the Phillips ambi light sets do as well. Bit that was not the problem first asked about samsung tv. I just want the tv to be able send atmos to my receiver and let that decode to the speakers job done, well not with samsung apart from the q90 and q70 I believe which again in different regions may or may not show atmos on netflix.
Can we all get a cold one and chill out for the rest of the day please lol
denodan
Navigator
Options
Also dont the new Samsung's 2020 tv models advertise sound movement directions so maybe simulated atmos. Who wants to even consider any atmos through a tv anyway when a decent soundbar or dedicated hifi system does real better full atmos.

TV speakers plainly suck
0 Likes