Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why no Dolby Atmos on samsung Netflix App???

(Topic created on: 29-05-2020 04:23 PM)
Leet2274
Pioneer
Options

i have Q9FN and HW N850 Atmos Soundbar

when using Netflix App on the TV, i went into Expert Audio Settings and it lets me select "dolby digital +" for audio ouput

the hw n850 sounbar supports Atmos

yet when on netlfix still only get crappy 5.1 sound

ive owned a sony xf9005 recently and their netflix app gives Dolby Atmos sound using "dolby digital +" , yes it is "lossy" dolby atmos but still sounds much better than DD 5.1

so my question is why are Samsung not updating their Netflix App to have Dolby Atmos. i have what is required here, dolby digital + selected on q9fn and atmos capable hw n850 soundbar. this is all thats required for "lossy Dolby Atmos" same as you get on 2018 sony & LG tv's

come on samsung, please sort this out by updating to a atmos capable Netflix APP version. its all thats needed

its bad enough having no DTS after spending £2000 on your tv & sounbar, the very least you can do to keep customers a little bit happier is Fix this one

632 REPLIES 632
WATTS1204
Explorer
Options
If you are using an optical cable to connect soundbar you will never get Atmos ever.

You need to connect by HDMi for Atmos to go over arc. Also make sure sound bar supports Atmos. I know on my LG soundbar I can use HDMi as it supports arc but I have to use another HDMi cable for it to work.
Check how many HDMi ports your soundbar has if any.
0 Likes
Victordlsb
Explorer
Options

Atmos on apps:

2018 Q7FN + HWQ90R:

Amazon Prime: Yes

Netflix: No

MKV via USB: No

0 Likes
Gav678
Student
Options

Atmos on apps: 

2019 Q950 + HWQ90R:

Amazon Prime: No

Netflix: No

Samsung rep was insistant on resetting TV remotely, which he did, which changed nothing. Needless to say the same apps through Nvidia Shield - Atmos available 

0 Likes
Smazza1970
Pathfinder
Options
Hi
Could have told you resetting the tv would make no difference and saved you the time wasted.
Many have posted on here the same.
Well done for getting samsung to take control of the tv because that's one of the hardest and rearest things.
Simple fact agreed even by all the guys in the tech review sites agree Samsung TVs 2018/2019 do not support Dolby atmos pass through to an av receiver you may get dolby digital plus as I do. My xbox one supports dolby atmos when connected to the amp directly but when connected to the tv the xbox will not allow atmos sound to be selected.
So quite clear to see it ain't going to happen till a future tv or another manufacturer
0 Likes
Gav678
Student
Options

I told the engineer it would be a waste of time and in my message back to him when he requested to do it, i said that i'll do it to prove a point that he is wasting his time as i was working anyway...

He did it, then when it was all done - said "you were right"....

Sometimes i can't help myself to show, what at that point was, 34 pages of forum could have told him... 

TeeHee
Apprentice
Options

Amazon prime should work even though Netflix doesn't. 

0 Likes
Smazza1970
Pathfinder
Options
Fantastic well done.
They just dont listen or even make an official comment to say either sorry it cannot be done or we are working on a firmware fix.
0 Likes
rojw13
Pioneer
Options

This isn't true though both my Sky Q box and my Fire TV cube pass atmos through and can be connected to the TV. 

the Xbox can't though.

Samsung it's all a mess.

0 Likes
WATTS1204
Explorer
Options

@Smazza1970 while I would agree things are buggy I can confirm I have lossy Dolby Atmos pass through going to my amp (Sony STR1080) after a reset with it now working.

Maybe try Disney + that may of enabled Dolby Atmos signal then flicking back to Netflix may work? (Disney+ is free for 7 day trial).

If I could post a video you would see my 2019 Q70R 82” connected via arc HDMi input and then to my Sony Amp is showing “Atmos” on my AMP on Netflix films that support it so yes it worked for me.

See image below that is connected from Samsung TV to Amp via hdmi on arc HDMi 4 input on the TV.

Bottom right: "DAtmos" showing on amp confirming Dolby Atmos signal from Netflix.

And on main image you can see Dolby Atmos on the main screen it's paused.

(sorry for upside down image, Samsung image uploader put it that way).

Many thanks.

4D516C20-DEC2-4E24-8FD6-E69FF7CA1634.jpeg

0 Likes
_oSo_
Navigator
Options

Same for me. My current set up is:

Q90r QLED tv connected to soundbar via arc port 

Xbox connected to tv One connect box via hdmi

This set up alllows freesync on my Xbox when gaming

however any app on the Xbox that provides Dolby atmos doesn't pass through to the soundbar so I loose the possibility to enjoy Dolby atmos from Netflix or Xbox games. Also I loose the ability to play atmos blue ray movies on the Xbox and receive atmos sound.

The only way I can get Dolby atmos from Xbox is if I connect the Xbox directly to the eARC port on the soundbar. That by itself is not the ideal set up, by doing this I also loose the ability of controlling the soundbar and the tv with the same remote and now I'm forced to use 2 remotes plus the Xbox controller, I also loose the Xbox icon on the tv, I also get lip sync issues and I also loose freesync when gaming on on the Xbox. 

In my case all those things make the eARC update on the tv necessary. 
Also there is the fact that Samsung marketed this tv with eARC upgrade in the near future, that was suppose to hope a year ago and many people purchased the tv based on that future update. If not upgraded will be false advertising.