Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why no Dolby Atmos on samsung Netflix App???

(Topic created on: 28-05-2020 12:13 PM)
Leet2274
Pioneer
Options

i have Q9FN and HW N850 Atmos Soundbar

when using Netflix App on the TV, i went into Expert Audio Settings and it lets me select "dolby digital +" for audio ouput

the hw n850 sounbar supports Atmos

yet when on netlfix still only get crappy 5.1 sound

ive owned a sony xf9005 recently and their netflix app gives Dolby Atmos sound using "dolby digital +" , yes it is "lossy" dolby atmos but still sounds much better than DD 5.1

so my question is why are Samsung not updating their Netflix App to have Dolby Atmos. i have what is required here, dolby digital + selected on q9fn and atmos capable hw n850 soundbar. this is all thats required for "lossy Dolby Atmos" same as you get on 2018 sony & LG tv's

come on samsung, please sort this out by updating to a atmos capable Netflix APP version. its all thats needed

its bad enough having no DTS after spending £2000 on your tv & sounbar, the very least you can do to keep customers a little bit happier is Fix this one

632 REPLIES 632
Shirocz
First Poster
Options

Netflix sends Atmos via DTS ... and no 2018+ model supports that, not even passthrough so you wont be able to play Atmos content. You need either, shield, xbox one or something to use netflix app. Blame samsung for saving 7€ on licence

0 Likes
Smazza1970
Pathfinder
Options

Hi

Er unless I have missed something DTS is a completely different format and nothing to do with atmos as atmos is a dolby owned format 

Dts is owned by a different company and yet 2 are not the same

0 Likes
Dekxster
Journeyman
Options

Well, I got Atmos on Netflix, Amazon Prime, even from MKV on USB disk. Just needed to set DD+ in Amazon and now it works everywhere.

0 Likes
Victordlsb
Explorer
Options

which tv model?

0 Likes
Dekxster
Journeyman
Options

QE65Q70R

0 Likes
Loft85
Explorer
Options

Yeah I have the same tv and can set the TV to dd+ when in a Netflix Atmos title, and Netflix will show Atmos. I just don't get any sound on my HW-k950 and in pretty sure it's because it doesn't support Atmos through arc. So it's not the tv tv  my soundbar that's terrible. 

0 Likes
Shirocz
First Poster
Options

Do you have shield or someone with one?  Ive got hw-q70r and i can play atmos when i run netflix via Shield. When i try to use it with TV Q8DN it wont work, even if i set DD+  etc. Mayby its got something to do with having ARC and not eARC ( because we know samsugn wont update this, even if its capable :face-with-tears-of-joy: ) .

0 Likes
WATTS1204
Explorer
Options

Just an update Dolby Atmos is working as a pass through arc to my Sony Amp.

Can we just clear their confusion in this post.

There's two types of Dolby Atmos, one is a compressed format that uses the lossy Dolby Digital + and the other is an uncompressed format using Dolby True HD.

Both add metadata to the existing formats to achieve the Atmos positioning.

And the compressed Atmos format is only one available as a pass through on arc and on Netflix/Sky TV with Dolby Digital +.

If you are still struggling as I was to get Atmos to work I had to reset my TV and it sorted it all out.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Loft85
Explorer
Options

Trying to reset my tv now, but pretty sure it won't help. Almost certain that it's my soundbar that won't accept Atmos through arc and only if connected directly to the soundbar via hdmi

0 Likes
Janitorus
Pathfinder
Options

Atmos over Dolby Digital Plus in Netflix will not work for everyone even when resetting the TV. 

Samsung and Dolby need to come to an agreement for having Atmos compatibility (lossy Atmos over DD+) on their specific devices (this is coming from Netflix support staff). Some devices simply don't have it yet. Others have it, but require a reset of the TV to get the proper data through, reset a cache or something. Or the trick of streaming Atmos over Amazon Prime first, then switching to Netflix as mentioned.

Whether or works or doesn't work for you, please do post your exact TV/Soundbar model etc.