Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why no Dolby Atmos on samsung Netflix App???

(Topic created on: 04-01-2020 06:42 AM)
Leet2274
Pioneer
Options

i have Q9FN and HW N850 Atmos Soundbar

when using Netflix App on the TV, i went into Expert Audio Settings and it lets me select "dolby digital +" for audio ouput

the hw n850 sounbar supports Atmos

yet when on netlfix still only get crappy 5.1 sound

ive owned a sony xf9005 recently and their netflix app gives Dolby Atmos sound using "dolby digital +" , yes it is "lossy" dolby atmos but still sounds much better than DD 5.1

so my question is why are Samsung not updating their Netflix App to have Dolby Atmos. i have what is required here, dolby digital + selected on q9fn and atmos capable hw n850 soundbar. this is all thats required for "lossy Dolby Atmos" same as you get on 2018 sony & LG tv's

come on samsung, please sort this out by updating to a atmos capable Netflix APP version. its all thats needed

its bad enough having no DTS after spending £2000 on your tv & sounbar, the very least you can do to keep customers a little bit happier is Fix this one

632 REPLIES 632
rojw13
Pioneer
Options
The Q9F. This year's Q series has an updated app in some markets that is atmos capable.
0 Likes
Smazza1970
Pathfinder
Options

Hi I have a denon avr 3400h 

First picture is from the tv netflix appThis is Netflix on the tvThis is Netflix on the tv

This is Netflix  on the xbox oneThis is Netflix on the xbox one

FugiTive
First Poster
Options

This is really frustrating, it's clearly Netflix who are dragging their heals on bringing Atmos to Samsung.

The Amazon app on our Q7FN streams Jack Ryan Season 2 in 4K HDR with Dolby Digital+ with Atmos meta data. My Denon avr-x2500h  specifically says DD Atmos when watching this series.

Yet Netflix won't support Atmos on the Samsung App, why?

0 Likes
artur11
Apprentice
Options
hello friends i have an apple tv 4k and in both netflix and amazon prime applications i can enjoy the dolby atmos sound quality, now if you have to connect directly via my samsung q9fn already only digital + nor with the samsung q9r soundbar turned on, thanks.
0 Likes
Smazza1970
Pathfinder
Options
Hi
Yes apple tv does support it no problem . Also forgot to say when the xbox is connected to the tv on hdmi 1 with hdmi 4 used as arc it will not allow me to select atmos in the xbox settings says my amplifier cannot do it. Yet connect the xbox direct to the amp then use hdmi 4 to view picture xbox allows atmos in the settings. So maybe another little issue with Samsung's pass through from arc to amp
0 Likes
_oSo_
Navigator
Options

Hi @Smazza1970 could you expand a. Bit more on your Xbox set up. I've been trying to get my Xbox one X set up right but the main issue I have experienced is that if I connect the Xbox directly to the tv (QLED Q90r) using any of the HDMI Ports that are not ARC i don't get any Dolby atmos on my Samsung q90r soundbar. 
Uo to this day I have the

1) QLED tv connected to the soundbar via HDMI ARC. This allows Dolby atmos from any tv native app that has atmos enable for the tv. I can see the atmos signal on my soundbar. 
2) Xbox One X connected to the tv using HDMI 1 (not arc) I get all the benefits of 4k UHD, HDR, XBOX widget on my tv, tv remote control works on turning on off all the devices but I do not get Dolby atmos passed to the soundbar with this set up. 

If I connect the Xbox directly to the soundbar then I get Dolby atmos from the the Xbox passed to the soundbar but I loose the Dolby atmos from the tv and also the picture quality from the Xbox to the tv decreases. 
Also I loose the Xbox widget 

also I loose some of the benefits of the QLED made for gamers. 

So far I have settle for the fort set up which is the most logical for my needs but it's disappointing. 

Once you hear real Dolby atmos from the Xbox Dolby atmos app you realize that what I'm getting from the native tv apps is nottttt the same 😞

0 Likes
simenk
First Poster
Options

I have the same setup although with Q950R and HW-Q90R connected through ACR, but i'm pretty sure there's something wrong because my rear speakers barely give any sound. The woofer is pretty quiet as well. The soundbar states Dolby Atmos as you would expect. Have you experienced something like this before?

0 Likes
Smazza1970
Pathfinder
Options
Hi sounds like the same sort of issue I have described.
I run via a denon av amp and Samsung nu8000 and no sound bars but the problems sound the same.
The xbox connected to the tv will not allow Dolby atmos however connect the xbox to the amp then the amp to the tv it works with atmos however I have not noticed any problems with picture this way round just that I have to manually select game mode when playing games.
I would guess that the video processing in a soundbar is not going to be as good as it is on a good spec av receiver afraid.
So for now I would guess your stuck with compromised picture by getting atmos through your sound bar.
Not seen anything that hints the latest 13.55 firmware cha ges any of these problems

Sorry cant help any more with your issue but I think you may be stuck with it for now
0 Likes
Smazza1970
Pathfinder
Options

Hi 

Depends what sort of thing your listening to

Back surrounds do not make a lot of noise only when you are playing games with surround or films. Only suggestion is to check what xbox sound is outputing you do not want pcm as that is compressed and normally reduces the sound to stereo which may be why your not getting much from the surround speakers. Hhave you also run test tones to the speakers to adjust volume levels. 

It's different in my av receiver I plug a microphone in and it sorts out the room eq perfectly so never had a problem 

0 Likes
Pooo0001
First Poster
Options

Just to let you know, some time in the last few days Netflix app on my a60 has started to offer atmos option . So hopefully samsung /netflix have fixed this . 

0 Likes