Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why no Dolby Atmos on samsung Netflix App???

(Topic created on: 03-01-2020 10:28 PM)
Leet2274
Pioneer
Options

i have Q9FN and HW N850 Atmos Soundbar

when using Netflix App on the TV, i went into Expert Audio Settings and it lets me select "dolby digital +" for audio ouput

the hw n850 sounbar supports Atmos

yet when on netlfix still only get crappy 5.1 sound

ive owned a sony xf9005 recently and their netflix app gives Dolby Atmos sound using "dolby digital +" , yes it is "lossy" dolby atmos but still sounds much better than DD 5.1

so my question is why are Samsung not updating their Netflix App to have Dolby Atmos. i have what is required here, dolby digital + selected on q9fn and atmos capable hw n850 soundbar. this is all thats required for "lossy Dolby Atmos" same as you get on 2018 sony & LG tv's

come on samsung, please sort this out by updating to a atmos capable Netflix APP version. its all thats needed

its bad enough having no DTS after spending £2000 on your tv & sounbar, the very least you can do to keep customers a little bit happier is Fix this one

632 REPLIES 632
rojw13
Pioneer
Options
Why then does Pass Through work on my SKY Q box?
0 Likes
rojw13
Pioneer
Options
Its not just Netflix though is it? Samsung could just demand Netflix enable dolby atmos. if it can be done on all LG and some Sony TVs why not samsung
0 Likes
Smazza1970
Pathfinder
Options
As already discussed the TV is not the problem. Neither are some other cable or satellite boxes. They all work on pass through I have proven that myself today have spent pretty much all day testing and changing things around. I managed to get the TV to output atmos no problem. Via you tube app It just will not on Netflix or an xbox one connected to say hdmi 1 then the sound going back to amp via arc on hdmi 4. I have had to connect the xbox to the amp then the amp to hdmi 4 as netflix will not show atmos on even the xbox one if its connected straight to the TV only when its connected to the amp. It's all down to the meta data. The tv says its make and model and then netflix adjusts itself to what it has confirmed works with that tv. When xbox one goes to my denon amp then clearly netflix allows the user to see the atmos films and decide the soundtrack accordingly
Smazza1970
Pathfinder
Options
They could indeed.

However atmos is still not widely used and is only now starting to gain more interest. It took Samsung 4 months to update firmware that was causing the tv to reset when using xbox one. So I reckon give it another 4 months they may update the in built netflix app if they can in fact do that over the wi fi
0 Likes
_oSo_
Navigator
Options

That's strange. Which QLED tv do you have?  I have the Q90R and it's connected to my HW- Q90R soundbar. I get Dolby atmos from the Netflix app and the soundbar displays the Dolby atmos name when receiving the appropriate sound format. Be aware that not all Netflix content has Dolby atmos. And even some shows have Dolby atmos only in some languages so make sure that the language in which you are watching the show is available in Dolby atmos. 
Amazon video also has some shows in Dolby atmos. Jack Ryan is one of them. 
Disney plus doesn't have Dolby atmos on the Samsung app, the best I can get is Dolby 5.1

VUDU app has Dolby atmos for the Samsung app. 
Apple TV app for Samsung does not has Dolby atmos.

make sure your tv sound settings in the expert section section is set up to Dolby Digital+ as the Digitl output audio format. By doing so the tv will recognize any content with Dolby atmos and output that format. 

0 Likes
Smazza1970
Pathfinder
Options
Hi
I do not have the qled tv I have the 65nu8000 the model below qled. Also in the uk where netflix differs from other regions I have just taken a screen shot of netflix on tv app showing 6 underground with just her and 5.1 showing. Then another screen shot of same film on xbox netflix app showing her and Dolby atmos. Proof of what I have been saying in the UK netflix does not support dolby atmos on samsung TV's for what ever reason. A view agreed by a simple google search confirms the same only x box one and some other tv makers get Netflix showing dolby atmos films in the UK
0 Likes
Dolby1980
Explorer
Options

@Smazza1970 What amplifier do you have, and is it setup correctly as per the video I showed? What firmware are you running? 

It's funny that they'll limit Netflix Dolby Atmos to certain markets only. There are plenty of people around the world that get Dolby Atmos via Netflix (Built in app) on their 2019 Samsung TVs.

0 Likes
Dolby1980
Explorer
Options

Also to add for information - the Netflix app will only show whatever your hardware is capable of :

You're not going to see an Atmos logo, without an Atmos amp connected. 

You're not going to see HDR, without an HDR TV. 

You're not going to see 4K, without a 4K TV being connected 

0 Likes
rojw13
Pioneer
Options
it is a pass-through issue though. apple Tv connected to soundbar = atmos. apple tv connected to the tv = no atmos.
Same for Xbox and fire tv. how can the three items work when connected to the soundbar and not when connected to the tv?
0 Likes
rojw13
Pioneer
Options
its madness though. I have last years to of the range 4k tv the Q9F and the N850 soundbar (which has atmos as its main selling point) yet a year after purchase I can only watch Jack Ryan on amazon in atmos without the need to connect additional boxes to my tv in the UK
0 Likes