Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why no Dolby Atmos on samsung Netflix App???

(Topic created on: 03-01-2020 09:32 PM)
Leet2274
Pioneer
Options

i have Q9FN and HW N850 Atmos Soundbar

when using Netflix App on the TV, i went into Expert Audio Settings and it lets me select "dolby digital +" for audio ouput

the hw n850 sounbar supports Atmos

yet when on netlfix still only get crappy 5.1 sound

ive owned a sony xf9005 recently and their netflix app gives Dolby Atmos sound using "dolby digital +" , yes it is "lossy" dolby atmos but still sounds much better than DD 5.1

so my question is why are Samsung not updating their Netflix App to have Dolby Atmos. i have what is required here, dolby digital + selected on q9fn and atmos capable hw n850 soundbar. this is all thats required for "lossy Dolby Atmos" same as you get on 2018 sony & LG tv's

come on samsung, please sort this out by updating to a atmos capable Netflix APP version. its all thats needed

its bad enough having no DTS after spending £2000 on your tv & sounbar, the very least you can do to keep customers a little bit happier is Fix this one

632 REPLIES 632
LarsDalgaard
Student
Options

Well..

Just enabled dd+ in advanced audio settings on the tv.

And my onkyo receiver picks It up as Atmos. 

0 Likes
rojw13
Pioneer
Options

Hmm this could not be enabled before. but now it can.

my N850 does not give me the atmos indicator though its very strange

0 Likes
Smazza1970
Pathfinder
Options
Hi
I just purchased some atmos speakers to work with my amp and noticed the same.
Unfortunately this is not down to samsung its actually Netflix that don't support atmos via the tv app. When I run Netflix on my xbox one suddenly I get movies with the atmos sound track showing in the top description.
Apparently only LG LG OLED and xbox one support atmos on Netflix.
Bit annoying as now had to connect xbox to amp rather than tv and now have to manually select game mode as auto is greyed out. Minor pain I know but means searching menu when I want to play a game with lowest input lag. Better I suppose than trying to watch a film in game mode and still having to switch off
0 Likes
Dolby1980
Explorer
Options

So after 18 pages and numerous videos - I'm pretty sure this is the answer : 

2019 Samsung QLED + Dolby Atmos amp *can* pass through Dolby Atmos

Unfortunatly, 2017 and 2018 cannot (and probably will not) be able to pass though Dolby Atmos

Here's a video setup : 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_v5HuoxGyQ&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1oDUvryK6muFDTgbp98QK3vdEZoO...

0 Likes
Smazza1970
Pathfinder
Options
You are correct and my nu8000 does support dolby atmos via the dolby digital + setting in the expert sound settings my reply was about the original poster struggling with atmos from netflix on the tv app. I have spent most of the day researching this and this is what I have found out through lots of trouble shooting. Netflix does not support Dolby atmos on samsung TV via the app. It only supports dolby atmos on lg OLED and xbox one's. How do I know this? Simple search 6 underground on my tv via netflix app and it shows her and 5.1 sound. Hisense tv in bedroom same film shows up as Dolby vision and 5.1. Same film on netflix app on the xbox one shows 4k and dolby atmos . All these were on the same account in the same house. Hope this clears up the confusion. Yes the latest TV'S do support Dolby atmos vis the Dolby digital + which is a compressed version sent back to your av amp or sound bar. However not all the streaming apps on the tv do. Another one I noticed 4k netflix will not play on virgin v6 box comes up with error unless with my phone it goes over the users. But also prime video will not play james may in Japan in 4k on xbox one but will on the samsung tv app. So work that one out its crazy. I just wish it would all just be standard
0 Likes
Loft85
Explorer
Options

I have a 2019 QLED and a samsung dolby atmos cabable soubdbar, but still not able to get atmos through Netflix app on the TV 

0 Likes
Dannyv
Journeyman
Options

And the worst thing of all is the fact that samsung doesn't provide an official statement. Its Just ridiculous how they treat their customers

@Loft85 wrote:

I have a 2019 QLED and a samsung dolby atmos cabable soubdbar, but still not able to get atmos through Netflix app on the TV 

These

Smazza1970
Pathfinder
Options
Hi
Afraid you will not until netflix updates the app on the tv. Like my previous post efen though the tv can output atmos via dolby digital + netflix does not allow Samsung TVs to see the atmos soundtrack. Yet same film on netflix app on xbox does show atmos soundtrack and my amp decodes it perfectly.
So as said before it's not the tv its netflix
0 Likes
Smazza1970
Pathfinder
Options
They won't reply they never do and like I said it's netflix you need to complain to maybe if enough do they will update the app on Samsung TVs
0 Likes
Dannyv
Journeyman
Options
Oke that's thru but we had to find out ourselves. Samsung Just sits back and watches us do all the Q&A for Them. 18 pages of vague discussions on their own forum. IT takes 1 reaction from Samsung on this platform to give the customers some clearification. Im happy with An official statement from Samsung saying something like, yeah its netflix's fault. We are working together to get this fixed. OR sorry folks. IT Just ain't happening on 2018 models
0 Likes