Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why no Dolby Atmos on samsung Netflix App???

(Topic created on: 28-10-2019 10:22 PM)
Leet2274
Pioneer
Options

i have Q9FN and HW N850 Atmos Soundbar

when using Netflix App on the TV, i went into Expert Audio Settings and it lets me select "dolby digital +" for audio ouput

the hw n850 sounbar supports Atmos

yet when on netlfix still only get crappy 5.1 sound

ive owned a sony xf9005 recently and their netflix app gives Dolby Atmos sound using "dolby digital +" , yes it is "lossy" dolby atmos but still sounds much better than DD 5.1

so my question is why are Samsung not updating their Netflix App to have Dolby Atmos. i have what is required here, dolby digital + selected on q9fn and atmos capable hw n850 soundbar. this is all thats required for "lossy Dolby Atmos" same as you get on 2018 sony & LG tv's

come on samsung, please sort this out by updating to a atmos capable Netflix APP version. its all thats needed

its bad enough having no DTS after spending £2000 on your tv & sounbar, the very least you can do to keep customers a little bit happier is Fix this one

632 REPLIES 632
primalair
Pathfinder
Options

We talk about TrueHD Sources connected to the TV which passes the sound to the Soundbar.

0 Likes
Mike_krk
Explorer
Options
TrueHD sources you connect to the regular HDMI IN port, not the HDMI OUT (ARC-TV). Or am I wrong?
0 Likes
primalair
Pathfinder
Options

You connect a TrueHD source to any of your regular HDMI ports of the TV. The TV passes the sound by it's eARC capable Port to an eARC capable Soundbar.

0 Likes
Mike_krk
Explorer
Options
Got it. So it's an alternate solution for connecting TrueHD source to soundbar HDMI IN port and then TV to soundbar HDMI OUT port, right?

Anyway, this is sick. In my case (Q80R soundbar) I can't even use "Multichannel (bypass)" mode in Philips 55OLED854 TV because there's no sound coming from the soundbar. This whole ARC/eARC support is a piece of misleading bull****. Nothing is sure and hardware that was suppose to bring us super cool cinema experience can't even play stereo without issues.
0 Likes
primalair
Pathfinder
Options

Connecting the source directly to the soundbar is also an option. This setup doesn't need arc at all to work. ARC means AudioReturnChannel and there is no Audio that needs to be returned as it's passed directly to the soundbar. I agree that this whole codec support topic isn't really customer friendly and out of my perspective it gets more and more confusing for average users with this whole HDR / Vision topics and everything what's coming with HDMI 2.1 it's getting even worse...

Mike_krk
Explorer
Options

Ok, so I'll ask one more thing. I have 2 main problems with Netflix I can't solve and can't even get close to figouring out what's the key reason that these issues occures. As I already mentioned, I have Samsung HW-Q80R soundbar and Philips 55OLED854 TV. They are connected direcly to eachother with HDMI ARC port.

Now, the key information is that Philips TV has 3 basic methods for sending digital audio signal: "stereo", "multichannel" and "multichannel bypass". And the problems are:

1. If I set TV to "multichannel bypass" mode, I get no sound from the soundbar at all when watching Netflix.

2. If I set TV to "multichannel" mode, I get sound from the soundbar when watching Netflix, but the sound is about 0,5 second delayd. As far as I know it's called "Lipsync" issue and it can't be solved by soundbar or TV settings because it's not video being behind the sound, but sound behind the video.

So I am very confused right now. People say it's best to connect some external source to the soundbar to avoid lipsync issue, but this shouldn't be the only solution in 2019 when most TOP Smart TVs have built-in Netflix app and there's no need for external source, despite the situation when someone wants to watch TrueHD content from Blu-ray.

And you're saying that people with LG eARC TV can now watch TrueHD content with soundbar connected directly to the TV via HDMI TV-ARC port?

0 Likes
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options
I can assure you this soundbar does not support eARC. I have had multiple Samsung staff explain to me that there has been no firmware update that included such support. As it stands currently the Q series soundbars do not possess eARC support.
0 Likes
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options
I get Dolby atmos with the Q90R but it’s not eARC instead it is compressed through DD+ Which makes it lossy audio. Plus standard arc cannot pass through 7.1 surround only compressed 5.1.
0 Likes
Mike_krk
Explorer
Options

I am so courius of any kind of an official Samsung statement in this matter. But I know it's a wishfull thinking. Samsung knows how to sell, but has no idea about proper support and communication.

0 Likes
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options
I completely agree, there should be an official statement stating what is going off. Their products are good but their aftercare and customer support is one of the worst I have known from a company. They’ll take the £££ but after that it’s more of a cya later than a continuous supporting system.