Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WARNING NVIDIA GPU Users: Do not buy a Samsung TV

(Topic created on: 11-01-2023 01:29 PM)
b_chleb
Journeyman
Options

There are countless posts on various forums about users of 3000-series NVIDIA GPUs having major problems with their Samsung TVs. These include:

-Not being able to set the refresh rate above 60 hz

-Not being able to use RGB and other color settings

-Not being able to enable Game Mode, input signal plus, HDR etc.

Basically, these TVs seem to have some kind of flaw with their HDMI 2.1 ports or their firmware (or both) that makes them incapable of properly communicating with these graphics cards.

I have this problem with my own TV (Q95A) after upgrading from a 1080 TI (worked fine) to a 4080. Samsung refuses to acknowledge this is a problem with the TV and I doubt it will ever get fixed. Their support just blames NVIDIA, even though other companies had similar issues with their TVs and ended up fixing them.

If you want a TV that works well with your PC, I strongly suggest you avoid all Samsung models.

39 REPLIES 39
Finn92
Journeyman
Options

I also have problems after upgrading from 1080 Ti to 4070 Ti. Could play 4K 60Hz with HDR, but now I get signal drops. Really regret not getting an LG Oled. 

Also, trying 4K 120Hz + HDR makes the drops more frequent

b_chleb
Journeyman
Options

It seems to get progressively worse. When I first got the 4080, everything worked fine. Then, HDR stopped working. After a week, Game Mode/input signal plus stopped working.

I got a new 48gbps cable and that made it work with 4k@120hz (though still no game mode or hdr) for about a week again. Now it won't let me set it above 120hz, no game mode, no hdr, and only limited NVIDIA color settings.

I also regret not getting something else because it looks like I will have to sell this one and end up with something cheaper because of all the money I wasted on the Q95A. 

I'm hoping other people who are considering a TV might see this thread and avoid the hassle.

Finn92
Journeyman
Options

I found this thread: https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/samsung-qn95a-games-consoles-blacking-out-intermittently/td-p...

I would reccomend to open a ticket with support with this as topic. This looks like a design flaw with the One connect-box, so Samsung should remidy your issue with a replacement or a refund. I'm taking this route since I would most likely lose money selling the TV

Finn92
Journeyman
Options

What i've seen while testing my 4070 Ti and Nvidia Shield: General dropout, once after 10 min of usage, doesn't happen afterwards. Typical with my Nvidia Shield. 
4070 Ti: 4K60Hz, no HDR = Dropout 2-3 seconds, every 20-30 min. 
4K120Hz = Dropout 2-3 seconds, every 5-10 min.
4K120Hz + HDR = Dropout 2-3 seconds, every 1-3 min. 
So the more bandwith you use, the more frequent the dropouts are. One Connect-box HDMI can't handle the traffic on the HDMI-port. 

b_chleb
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for that thread. I've actually had the same issue with the blackouts that happen for 2-3 seconds since I got the TV (just while watching TV shows or movies from my PC). I didn't really do anything about that because it only happens once or twice a day. 

I did discover something by accident yesterday while I was fiddling around with the ports that has solved the problem for now. I mistakenly unplugged my soundbar and ended up plugging the HDMI cable for my PC into the eARC port and then everything started working again for whatever reason. I never tried that port before because it's the only eArc port on the OneConnect box and I figured it was best to just have the soundbar plugged in there.

I'm able to use Game Mode, HDR, and get 4K@120hz without any issues for now. But then again, I've had things work temporarily before and then fail for no reason after a week, so there's no guarantee this is permanent. Give the eArc port a go if you haven't tried it yet. It's port #3 on my box.

Finn92
Journeyman
Options

Interesting! I'm using my Sonos ARC for that channel, but I will give it a go. Still sucks if that's the solution, since I would sacrefice Dolby Atmos (since ARC only supports Dolby HD, I think?). I can reproduce the problem pretty fast, so I'll update this thread with my findings. 

0 Likes
Finn92
Journeyman
Options

So I unplugged my soundbar and for good measure tested my PC in HDMI 3, and did notice a reduction in the dropouts. Sadly, they are still present. I guess eArc uses some bandwith, especially since my Sonos Arc supports it and therefore gave me reduced drops in signal. I’m still determined to pursue support and have them replace the connect box.

Finn92
Journeyman
Options

Just a small update: Support is pretty bad and concluded with that they can't guarantee compability with the 4070Ti... They did contact me later and asked me to update my TV, thought I allready was on 2111.1, but I wasn't. I'm downloading the firmware update and going to test it. 
Link for anyone wondering where to find the update: https://www.samsung.com/no/support/model/QE75QN95AATXXC/#downloads

0 Likes
Kabbi
Journeyman
Options

Hi guys. I have the qn95A 85 Inch. I think i found a solution . Its working for me for now. Go to nvidia control panel, display, adjust desktop size and position. Go to scaling and choose: perform scaling on gpu. Go to display settings on windows and choose 119hz not 120hz. This steps is of course after you enable input plus/gaming mode. I really hope this work out for you guys.