Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Tivo box always turns on with TV (Q80)

(Topic created on: 25-08-2020 12:00 PM)
MrTest
Explorer
Options

Have an annoyance where the Virgin Tivo box seems to turn on every time the TV (Q80) is turned on regardless of the input selection...

Setup:

- External devices all plugged into TV

- CEC enabled (in order to use ARC with soundbar)

When initially plugging in the Tivo box the TV recognises it as 'TV' and seems to very cleverly then provide features through the menu's on the TV for the source (play, record etc). This was neat to start with but soon became very fiddly and have gone back to using the Tivo remote.

It seems that everytime the TV is turned on, regardless of the input source it comes back with the Tivo box will automatically turn on. I spend more time turning it off separately than watching it as more often our usage is through the TV apps or other external devices.

Thought at first this may be CEC (Anynet) related but I bought an HDMI adaptor that would bypass the messages for CEC sent between the TV and Tivo box, but the Tivo box still turns itself on! Also can't find any obvious settings on the Tivo box.

Does anyone have any ideas how to keep the Tivo box off? 

Cheers

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
NCudmore
Explorer
Options

Just spotted this post.  Sounds like it's a generic issue.  I have the same problem with a Q950 and Sky Q box, and posted a similar question about that.

0 Likes
MrTest
Explorer
Options

Interesting. I noticed on your post @NCudmore that the input on your TV changes as well.

In my situation this doesn't happen (if the TV is turned off after being on a different external source) however it always turns on the Tivo box regardless. I don't have my setup run the last used app, but not sure if that's important.

0 Likes
NCudmore
Explorer
Options

To be honest, I have installed 'smart switches' on the TV, blu-ray etc.  Only the Sky box is allowed to stay on 'standby' overnight to record things.  So, 'normally' the Sonos Beam, blu-ray etc are powered off at the mains and not left on standby.  Perhaps that is why the TV switches input to Sky, I'm guessing some handshake is involved and as the only available device to goes to that.

During the day the TV may be on standby after watching Netflix, and when coming off standby it shows Netflix at first then just goes to Sky as turns it on.  I've not tried leaving the blu-ray on standby and seeing if it still switches Sky on.

0 Likes
Lubby
First Poster
Options

Just seen this thread as I have a similar but weirder issue.

I like to watch Netflix using my TV App rather than my Virgin V6 box as it's quicker to use just one device and uses less energy. However, at the point I select Netflix from the on screen banner, the Virgin box turns on silently in the background. The TV doesn't select that input so for a while I couldn't understand why I kept finding my V6 box switched on - it's easy to miss that it has happened. At no time did I touch the V6 remote control.

What's really weird though is that after some experimentation I have discovered that if I turn the TV on using the VIRGIN remote control, the box itself doesn't turn on when I navigate to the Netflix App on the TV. Just to be clear - once I have turned the TV on with the Virgin remote, I switch back to the Samsung TV remote as that's the only way I can navigate the TV menus. If I do that the box stays off when I later select Netflix, but if I use the TV remote to initially switch on then when I later select Netflix it switches on. Either way when I get to select Netflix I am using the TV remote - it is only that initial action that is different.

I find this odd particularly as intuitively you would think it would be the other way round - using the Virgin remote would cause the box to start rather than the Samsung remote. I see some logic in an auto start if it is also going to auto select that input - but it doesn't, it just fires up and runs unnoticed in the background, wasting energy.

0 Likes
Grey_Area
Student
Options
Spoiler
I have a similar problem, but hilariously (not really) my Virgin Tivo box goes into standby immediately when I turn my Samsung TV ON. I assume there's some sort of communication over HDMI causing it, but I can find no setting for it on either the Tivo box or my Samsung TV... 
0 Likes