Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video quality issues with Apple TV 4K on a Samsung Smart TV 55Q8C 2017

(Topic created on: 17-10-2020 01:22 PM)
BDX331
Student
Options

Hello,

I recently bought an Apple TV 4K to plug on my Samsung Smart TV 55Q8C 2017. I need to be able to share my screen from my Mac to my TV and sadly the TV isn't compatible with AirPlay 2.

I noticed that the video quality is lower and even having some lags when I'm watching videos and movies, especially from Netflix and Youtube, using the Apple TV in comparison with using the apps directly on the Smart TV.  

I did some research online to find out how to fix it by changing settings on the TV and Apple TV and so far this is what I tried:

- Disable HDR+ on the Samsung settings.

- Match content Range & Frame on the Apple TV.

- 4K SDR on the Apple TV.

- Tried different HDMI cables.

- Configured Netflix to only stream video in high quality.

But I can still notice a big difference in terms of quality and fluidity. 

Did some of you have been through the same problems and found ways to fix it?

Best regards.

2 REPLIES 2
lokizilla
First Poster
Options
Does your Internet connection have sufficient bandwidth to stream 4K at the expected bitrates?

Are you able to connect the Apple TV, and possibly the TV itself, using Ethernet - even temporarily as a test to help rule out a WiFi issue?

If you use the Mac to watch Netflix, do you see the same issues? Do you see the same when casting the screen to the TV from the Mac playing Netflix?
0 Likes
BDX331
Student
Options

Hello,

Thanks for your answer! 

My internet connexion is optical fiber with 300 Mbit/s. I tried to plug the Apple TV using Ethernet but I have the same quality issues.

On my MacBook plugged to the WiFi and on my Smart TV (without Apple TV) plugged in Ethernet I don't have any quality video problems on Youtube and Netflix. 

I also noticed video quality issues and lags with the Apple TV screensaver.

Here are pictures of the settings on the Smart TV and the Apple TV:

Let me know if you want me to share some screen recording of videos played on Apple TV and on the Smart TV to see the difference. 

Best regards. 

0 Likes