Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB video playback quality degradation

(Topic created on: 17-05-2020 09:52 PM)
Shredderson
Journeyman
Options

The tv i use is a Q70R. I recently noticed some visual artifacts when watching gotham, that i ripped from the bluray and watch off an external harddrive connected to the usb. Ill try to explain all the differences between USB playback and disc playback on my ps3, so it might get a bit rambly.

I have an eye for visual quality, as in im fairly sensitive to compression artifacts and the like. I watch a lot of my movies/series by ripping them and playing them back off an hdd conectes to the tvs usb port as its simply more comvenient, i dont reencode anything, just the raw bluray quality ripped with makemkv. When watching blurays (but not 4k blurays) in this fashion, i notice a lot of artifacts, i assumed they were compression artifacts, due to the fact they only occured in 1080p SDR bluray rips. However, i recently began to think that its ghosting, caused by a poor respone time, as they usually occur in dark scenes. After watching season 2 episode 19 of gotham from the hdd. I decided to watch the next episode straight from the disc in my ps3. I know that because its a different  episode it cant be directly compared, but i did notice several diferences. 

First one, the disc was louder, i couldny discerne any difference in sound quality. Im assuming this is because the audio is dts, as that was the only english audio codec on the bluray when i ripped it. I encode the audio in acc 5.1 768kbs after ripping, as samsung tvs dont support dts, which is funny as this is the only reason i can think of for the audio to be louder? Anyway, i also notice fewer, if any, artifacts, its not a huge difference in quality, not enough to render the harddrive useless, but it is noticable. 

This doesnt occur with 4k hdr bluray rips. That being said, i dont have a 4k player to compare, the only way for me to watch 4k content is by ripping.

Whats going on here? Am i going crazy or there is a quality degradation when playing off a usb harddrive?

0 Likes
0 REPLIES 0