Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB portable SSD drive connected to the Samsung QN90A QE50QN94AATXXU 50" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR Neo QLED 2021?

(Topic created on: 14-06-2022 08:48 PM)
questions2ask
Journeyman
Options

Rather than using a hard drive, would any portable SSD USB drive work fine, recording and playing back TV programmes, if connected to the Samsung QN90A QE50QN94AATXXU 50" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR Neo QLED TV please?

An SSD uses less energy than a mechanical HDD so most likely won't need a separate power adaptor?

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
AndrewL
Options

@questions2ask: For a USB device for recording, it is recommended to use a USB hard disk that supports USB 2.0 or later and 5,400 rpm or higher. RAID-type USB hard drives and USB memory sticks are not supported.

questions2ask
Journeyman
Options

Yes, I was reading that on page 153 and 157 of the pdf instructions (  OSNDVBEUA-7.2.0_EM_OSCAR_EU_ENG_210910.0.pdf )

' • For a USB device for recording, it is recommended to use the USB hard disk that supports USB 2.0 or later and 5,400 rpm or higher. However, RAID-type USB hard drives are not supported. '

Also:

' • The TV supports the FAT, exFAT and NTFS file systems. '

' • When connecting an external hard drive, use the USB (HDD 5V  1A) port. We recommend that you use an external hard drive with its own power adapter. '

So power consumption is an issue, even with a 1A output.

What I was wondering is if an external SSD drive would work?

Less power drain, faster speeds. In many instances, HDD can be interchanged with SSD (unlike USB sticks).

0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
I wouldn't use an SSD for that purpose. While they are getting better from a reliability stand point using one for PVR would be the easiest way to kill one.