Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB portable hard drive for Samsung QN90A QE50QN94AATXXU 50" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR Neo QLED 2021 TV

(Topic created on: 12-06-2022 12:09 PM)
questions2ask
Journeyman
Options

Could anyone recommend capacity USB hard drive Samsung QN90A  QE50QN94AATXXU 50" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR Neo QLED TV please?

The instruction manual states regarding USB hard drives:

'For a USB device for recording, it is recommended to use the USB hard disk that supports USB 2.0 or later and 5,400 rpm or higher. However, RAID-type USB hard drives are not supported.'

and states:

'The maximum recording time is 720 minutes.'

How much GB is required to store 720 minutes at the highest definition?

I was also wondering if there are any advantages using a USB 3.0 supported hard drive (rather than 2.0, 2.1, etc) on this TV and if the hard drive draws any power (watts) plugged into the TV and not being used? The thought is to leaving the external USB hard drive permanently connected to the TV.

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
USB 3 are more common and fully backwards compatible. Seagate or Western Digital host powered 500GB should suffice but you could go 1TB if the price isn't much different. 5400rpm are common for portable drives which are host powered. You may need to invest in a longer USB cable though as they can be quite short. Regarding power draw, they usually go into low power standby when not in use but that depends on the TV firmware and if it has pause or rewind live TV facilities. https://www.circlehd.com/blog/how-to-calculate-video-file-size
questions2ask
Journeyman
Options

Thanks.

Also, I noticed stated in the instructions:

'When connecting an external hard drive, use the USB (HDD 5V 1A) port. We recommend that you use an external hard drive with its own power adapter.'

As the statement is only a recommendation, I was wondering what the difference would be if a hard drive without a power adapter was used? Surely less power would be used by not having a power adapter. Might the USB version make a difference as to the power consumption as they always seem to improve on this?

0 Likes