Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATE Google Play Movies & TV app no longer working

(Topic created on: 21-04-2020 07:38 PM)
alexwent
Explorer
Options

UPDATE. While I was on the phone to the UK hotline, the Google Movies app started working again on my Frame 2019 55" model.  RECOMMENDATION: If anyone still has this particular problem, please let Samsung know. Samsung TV Google Play Movies app no longer works.  Logo is followed by blank screen. Have tried resetting apps, TV and One Connect box. Can still cast via Chromecast; it Samsung's built-in app that is not working.

41 REPLIES 41
Kenzibit
Apprentice
Options

Hello everyone so I just got this new Samsung NU7100 UHD TV and everything works great except the Google Play Movies app. When I launch it the logo appears and then black screen... nothing appears, I can't even see anything to sign in. I have tried resetting the hub, TV, restarts to no avail. I need help since all my digital Movies are on Google Play. Anyone with similar or same experience or a fix? Thanks. 

BioHazard ☣️
0 Likes
AsadM
Options
Hi @Kenzibit. Hope you're doing well. Was the Google Play Movies app already installed on the TV, or did you download it? If it's the latter, where did you download the app from? Also, can you confirm the software version on the TV? You can find this in Support > Software update.
0 Likes
Kenzibit
Apprentice
Options

@AsadM wrote:
Hi @Kenzibit. Hope you're doing well. Was the Google Play Movies app already installed on the TV, or did you download it? If it's the latter, where did you download the app from? Also, can you confirm the software version on the TV? You can find this in Support > Software update.

The Google Play Movies app was already installed on the TV, I didn't do anything to get it.

Software version of the TV : 1270

BioHazard ☣️
0 Likes
Stedy76
Journeyman
Options

HI, Did you find a fix for this issue? as it has happened to me today. It was also preinstalled on my TV, I can't delete the App but have reinstalled it. But nothing but a black screen after boot up logo disappears. 

Details:

google play movies version: 1.0.11

Updated: 16/04/2020

TV:QE65Q6FAM

Software version: T-KTMDEUC-1280.5 ,BT - S

Hmesid
Student
Options

This has literally also just happened to me too. Very frustrating...

Additionally, my nvidia shield will not playback through the TV either, my collection runs fine through my mobile phone. 
I am also on version 1270.3

model number: QE55Q6FAM 

Mine states there is a 1280 update, but it keeps failing, I have also been onto Samsung's website to attempt to install the update manually, and there is no such update via their website....

Simon752
First Poster
Options

Snap mine just went blank too

Stedy76
Journeyman
Options

So something is going on at Samsungs end. When I bring my home up and scroll along to Google Play Movies & TV and select from the selection on the quick access suggestions ribbon it loads what ever selected in to play the trailer, add to watch list or purchase. From this window I can't get to my settings or purchased items. When I exit the app and just click normally back onto the app to enter my account, the logo will appear then it is followed by a dark grey/black screen and nothing is selectable other than to hit return or exit. I've chatted with Google support this afternoon and they say it's a Samsung issue, I've tried requesting support via my TV with no luck (none is available). Samsung really need to look into this ASAP as I have a lot of purchased movies that I watch via this App.

Hmesid
Student
Options

Exactly the same for me man, I can watch trailers via the shortcuts, but the same dark grey static screen when trying to open the app, I also have a lot of purchases through here. 
you can login through the YouTube app and watch your movies there, but anything you own 4K will only display in 1080p, not ideal but it works for now.

0 Likes
Stedy76
Journeyman
Options

Yeah, I can access my purchased movies via YouTube thankfully, but really would like to be able to use Google Play again for that 4k picture quality. Hopefully someone from Samsung will pick up that a number of us are having this grey screen of death issue with this App and fix it via firmware update or offer a quicker solution via the community as It's a preinstalled app that is advertised on most of the TV models sales promo sales/specs pages and accompanying pics.