Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update 1420 has destroyed HDR gaming on my QN90B

(Topic created on: 29-12-2022 11:09 PM)
Davey_Jones
Journeyman
Options

First off, I had auto update disabled because of situations like this, but the TV decided to auto update anyways. After it updated to 1420 I immediately noticed that the colours in my games looked dull, washed out, grey and missing any vibrancy so I played around with my PS5 settings and noticed that if I disable HDR the games look much better in SDR. How did Samsung push out an update like this and is there any word on a fix? 

The photos show the difference after update 1420 (no settings in the game or TV were changed whatsoever). Top photo is HDR disabled, bottom photo is HDR enabled. 

20221228_205107.jpg20221228_205134.jpg

Here's a link to a prominent youtuber who is having the same issue:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8QATn4Zssk

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13
Svein1967
Pioneer
Options

I don't do any gaming so the update to 1420 hasn't done any damage, but I cannot for the life of me see why there is an option to NOT auto update firmware when it does regardless. Anyone knows? 

As for your gaming issues there's a long discussion on that on Avsforum.com.

0 Likes
Davey_Jones
Journeyman
Options

This is the first high end TV I ever bought, after doing some research apparently Samsung has been forcing updates that makes TV'S worse for a while even though people have "do not auto update" enabled. I've been told to just delete Wi-Fi from the TV to take it offline if the next update fixes this issue and watch all my shows from the PS5. I spent over £1000 on this TV, I didn't think I had to handicap it to have a stable experience 😞 

0 Likes
Svein1967
Pioneer
Options

I notice now that at least two streaming services (running from apps on the TV) the sound gets out of sync. After 30 minutes it's at least by a second. The same apps on my cable TV box work fine. Never had this problem on the old firmware.... 

0 Likes
Davey_Jones
Journeyman
Options

Dang, what were they thinking when they pushed this update has anyone from samsung acknowledged these bugs?

0 Likes
Ryan1420
Student
Options

Having the same issues with game HDR (HGiG) on my S95b. Like Davey Jones, this was my first high end tv purchase (upgraded from a 6 year old lower end Samsung) and after this recent update, HDR gaming is now not too dissimilar from my previous TV’s output. Very dim and washed out (unless you use contrast enhancer which has it’s own issues). Wouldn’t be so bad if you could roll the firmware back, especially considering this was a forced update…

0 Likes
Davey_Jones
Journeyman
Options

Yep, I tried playing with contrast enhancer but I absolutely hate how the picture looks. I upgraded from a 2010 Panasonic, I've been playing  older games throughout the year like Bioshock Infinite or Infamous Second Son and I was so blown away by how good this TV made them look I would honestly consider this TV to be perfect before the 1420 update. I pray samsung reverts these changes or at least acknowledge it. 

0 Likes
Svein1967
Pioneer
Options

According to this Youtuber there will be new fw ("to eliminate all remaining glitches") sometime this January....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgxeUvCHouI

If that is correct remains to be seen.....

Davey_Jones
Journeyman
Options

The guy in the video is on a much older firmware, he shouldn't be having any issue. Im going phone Samsung myself when their customer service lines open in an hour.

0 Likes
Svein1967
Pioneer
Options

Yes, I see that. But the fix in January that he mentions surely cannot be the 1420 fw? That version is already out and he posted the video only three days ago. 

0 Likes