Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to select Dolby digital + on Q90 connected via arc to Q90R soundbar

(Topic created on: 07-07-2020 05:46 PM)
Iceage
Student
Options

I have just recently purchased both the 55Q90 tv and matching soundbar. Reading through here on the forum I can see that earc is awaited for this set to allow for non lossy audio and the soundbar has just received a 1010.5 update which is part way there but not quite!

Both the TV and Soundbar report the latest firmware versions and despite using two HDMI cables I cannot set anything higher than Dolby Digital with the resultant issue that Netflix and Apple TV only allow 5.1 and do not display Atmos against known compatible titles. When unplugging the soundbar the TV states that Atmos enabled audio device connected, however still cannot select digital+ in expert mode. The soundbar simply states arc connected with no change to display when selecting different audio formats.

Am I missing something straightforward? 

Appreciate any help that you can provide and thank you for taking the time to read this.

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9
Iceage
Student
Options
Cracked it with the help of the post at the bottom of page 29 at this link;
https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV/why-no-Dolby-Atmos-on-samsung-Netflix-App/td-p/1109478/page/2...

I entered the amazon prime video Samsung app, streamed Jack Ryan and then entered the tv sound settings, expert and behold, Dolby Digital + was not greyed out. Selected that option and then opened the Samsung Netflix app, selected series Dark and it now displays the Dolby Atmos logo. Sounds better than before I noticed things were not setup correctly.

I hope this proves useful to others that will, no-doubt hit this issue. Software bugs arggggh!
DrDomski
Student
Options

It took me 8 hours of research of how to play dolby atmos material from my Q90 and this literally fixed it - it let me play netflix material with atmos.

Ritchie12
First Poster
Options

Thanks , I called Samsung support and was told that th tv didn't support dolby Atmos . I then went and bought an apple TV 4k to get it . Now I have read your post I to have cracked the grey Dolby digital plus puzzle set by Samsung . I am putting a formal complaint into Samsung about this as I now have a redundant £180 streaming box . Ps thanks again .

DrDomski
Student
Options

Hey Ritchie,

the TV does not support Dolby Atmos TrueHD though as it requires eARC to be transfered via HDMI - this lossless adio format might be supported by your AppleTV 4k and you can make it shine by plugging it directly to your sound system (since the Q90R does not support eARC, plugging it in to the TV Box won't help 😕 - this however will be patched according to Samsung).

However no streaming platform supports TrueHD so having the AppleTV is redundant (as by now) and the Samsung support really ***** up in your case.

0 Likes
notanothercliche
First Poster
Options

It's shocking how easy this is to fix and how difficult it is to find the answer!

0 Likes
tktoldo
First Poster
Options

Hi! I just bought a Q800A and I've been having a similar issue.

When I do the whole open an Atmos compatible movie and select Digital+, then go straight to other atmos compatible apps, it works. But, if I go first to TV, Youtube or another non compatible app, I have to do the whole process again when I want Atmos. I mean, every single time, and that's very upsetting.

Do you guys found a solution for that? Or you don't have this issue?

0 Likes
tktoldo
First Poster
Options

0 Likes
Dave Ref
First Poster
Options

Had the same problem with my Sennheiser Ambeo soundbar. Worked exactly the same as Iceage. Kudos 👍🏻 Now 10 channels instead of the 6 I've had for weeks 😂🤣

0 Likes
Masentaja
First Poster
Options

Hi, lifting this up. I have the same issue, dolby digital+ is active when playing supporting movie what I know, but then the audio goes mute. Have tried everything but nothing works.

I have HW-K860 soundbar + Samsung QE65Q70  tv

0 Likes