Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UHD settings and HDR+

(Topic created on: 13-11-2018 04:45 PM)
Brynsta
First Poster
Options

So recently got the Samsung NU8070 and it’s very good but not sure on a few settings to get the best out of it, I have a PS4 Pro and Sky Q both have UHD and HDR content, but when I select HDR+ the screen almost gets a green tinge to it? Like the white menu is an off white and so forth, I have it displaying in UHD as when you select the source it tells you the resolution in the top corner but HDR+ doesn’t seem to have any any benefit? What do you guys have on in terms of screen settings for best picture? 

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9
AndrewL
Options
Hi @Brynsta

Firstly I recommend going to Home > Settings > General > External Device Manager > HDMI UHD Color > On. This will convert the TV's HDMI connector to a mode optimised for the UHD 50P/60P signals. Do this for all relevant HDMI inputs, then check the settings on your Sky Q and PS4 Pro to ensure that they are set up to output in UHD.
NikyWu
Student
Options

Hi - been puzzling with this one for a while. for me switching on HDMI UHD Colour results in the Samsung TV not being able to detect the sky a box. Switching it off and the box is detected again...

should this work with the sky Q V2 box?

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@NikyWu wrote:

Hi - been puzzling with this one for a while. for me switching on HDMI UHD Colour results in the Samsung TV not being able to detect the sky a box. Switching it off and the box is detected again...

should this work with the sky Q V2 box?

Hi @NikyWu  Just checking you have the latest firmware on both the Tv and sky Box? If not download it,Tv can be updated via  USB.     If updated and still isues you could try a Factory reset to see if that makes a difference.   

I have Skyq V2 and do not have this issue, though am aware that some issues with V2 Box and Samsung TV (though mostly concerning Box going into Standby) .

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
Bobby76
Pioneer
Options

Hi, my opinion based on my 55" Q9F is as follows:

My set up is:

Nothing connected to the one connect box except HDMI 4 which goes to my Dennon X3500 amp.

Plugged into the amp I have a 4k BT vision box, a Now TV stick, a 4k Amazon Fire Stick and an Xbox One S as a 4k bluray/games. I run Netflix and all catch up channels through the xbox because it does Dolby Atmos for everything, either simulated or Native. I control all my devices using a Harmony Elite.

For the TV picture settings, the following is most satisfactory for me for all sources through the amp at any time of day including games, sports, action scenes etc:

Backlight 30

Brightness 0

Contrast 50

Sharpness 5

Colour 25

Tint 0

Digital clean auto

Auto motion plus off

Local dimming high

Contrast enhancer low

HDR+ mode ON (turn it on first then adjust everthing)

Colour tone warm2

Gamma ST.2048 (its designed for HDR modes)

ST.2048 = 0

Rgb only mode off

Colour space Native

ECO solution, everything off except auto power mode (turn this off if you plug a hard drive in for recording)

One other note, the scale used for the settings varies between models of TV.

Examples on my tv:

Backlight max is 50

Brightness min is -5 max is +5

Contrast max is 50

Sharpness max is 20

Colour max is 50

Tint min is g15 max is r15

So to translate between different sets I work on percentages instead of absolute numbers and judge how it looks from there. Everyone's different so there is no right answer, but these are what work for my mid 40's eyes!

Hope this helps!

NikyWu
Student
Options
Thanks will give it a whirl
0 Likes
Bobby76
Pioneer
Options

Hope it works well for you. If you find it too bright, leave everything as is and just turn the backlight down. I found 15 to be excellent at night but too dark in full daylight. I settled at the higher level as the best all rounder for me.

0 Likes
JM01
First Poster
Options

@Bobby76 wrote:

Hi, my opinion based on my 55" Q9F is as follows:

My set up is:

Nothing connected to the one connect box except HDMI 4 which goes to my Dennon X3500 amp.

Plugged into the amp I have a 4k BT vision box, a Now TV stick, a 4k Amazon Fire Stick and an Xbox One S as a 4k bluray/games. I run Netflix and all catch up channels through the xbox because it does Dolby Atmos for everything, either simulated or Native. I control all my devices using a Harmony Elite.

For the TV picture settings, the following is most satisfactory for me for all sources through the amp at any time of day including games, sports, action scenes etc:

Backlight 30

Brightness 0

Contrast 50

Sharpness 5

Colour 25

Tint 0

Digital clean auto

Auto motion plus off

Local dimming high

Contrast enhancer low

HDR+ mode ON (turn it on first then adjust everthing)

Colour tone warm2

Gamma ST.2048 (its designed for HDR modes)

ST.2048 = 0

Rgb only mode off

Colour space Native

ECO solution, everything off except auto power mode (turn this off if you plug a hard drive in for recording)

One other note, the scale used for the settings varies between models of TV.

Examples on my tv:

Backlight max is 50

Brightness min is -5 max is +5

Contrast max is 50

Sharpness max is 20

Colour max is 50

Tint min is g15 max is r15

So to translate between different sets I work on percentages instead of absolute numbers and judge how it looks from there. Everyone's different so there is no right answer, but these are what work for my mid 40's eyes!

Hope this helps!

Hello,

Would these settings work on the: Samsung QE65Q90RATX?

Thank you.

0 Likes
Matsol
First Poster
Options
hi. I have a UE48JU6400. I have turned on the UHD colour mode but my sky box will still not recognise it as 10 bit colour. Any ideas?
0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi@Matsol , According to Display Specifications this model's display is 8 bits, some models are 8 bits + FRC  (frame rate contol)  and others  10 bit.  https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/0ba827a    Whilst has got 10 bit on Rtings they say state that when consider 8 bit with dithering to be equivalent  https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ju6400  More explained here https://www.isolapse.com/true-10-bit-vs-8-bit-frc-monitor-what-is-the-difference/ 

10 Bit setting on Sky does work if you have 8 bits+FRC but will not be true 10 Bit Colour.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.