This ability to turn off the screen when playing music is very useful when using applications like TuneIn. Even when playing music from youtube, many times you want just to listen, not to watch. Also, for many youtube music videos, picture is static.
I saw that this functionality was available for Samsung TV models until recently. For example: Turning off the picture but not the sound (2013-2015 TVs).
From some reason, this is impossible in my brand new UE55MU9000. If this is true, I believe that Samsung can provide such functionality in one of the next software updates.
I had LG tv before. I mostly listen music through my home theater. Now I bought samsung thinking it is upgraded to current standard. Now I am dissapointed to se the best feature reamoved. I simply dont care all those gimmick features shown in advertisement. Now my money is gone and all it is left with is this tv Amd a brand who doesnt listens to consumers. And btw I have made many people not to buy samsung smart tv. Better buy LG or something else. My last Samsung TV forever. Never using this TV again. Proud that many choose not to buy samsung because of me.
Just figured out how to play music through my 8 series TV (2019) or through my AV amp.
1. Use SmartThings to change audio output from phone Samsung TV.
2. On your TV screen will be the song info.
3. Bottom right of your TV screen has an icon to turn the TV screen off. Ta da! The music is playing on your TV speakers and the screen is off. You can control the volume using either your phone volume controls or the volume controls on the TV remote. To turn the TV screen back on hit the round enter button on TV remote.
4. If you want to play through amp and wired sound system speakers first make sure you have used an optical audio cable to connect from optical audio out on back of TV to optical audio in on your amp.
5. Cast your to music to TV using SmartThings. Select play audio from phone on TV. On your TV screen you will see the song info.
Go to Settings, Sound.
Select Sound output. Change from TV speaker to optical. (You will also see here Bluetooth speaker list for any Bluetooth speakers you have set up). Ta da! Your awesome music can now be played over your awesome sound system.
You can turn off the screen using the screen off instructions above.
An added bonus is now you can use the TV remote or your phone to control your AV amp volume. A final Ta da!!