Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

UE50J5505AK video pass through, receiver and steam link.

(Topic created on: 08-11-2017 02:47 PM)
ItsMuke
Apprentice
Options

Hi! I'm currently trying to setup the Steam link to my TV and receiver. I want 5.1 surround from my receiver and the picture on my TV. I have connected a HDMI cable on my HK AVR 151s Video out (arc) to my Samsung TV hdmi2 (arc). Then there is a HDMI cable from my Steam link to my receiver hdmi 1 in. I first thought that I should post on the Steam forum but from the looks of it, it's either the receiver or the TV that is at fault (Steam community website, a thread I made to get help). I do get sound from my Steam link but no video to my TV (I get "no signal"). The weird thing is that the TV responds to the receiver, if I change a source or something it responds with...a blink, or something like that, then it takes about 3 seconds before it says "no signal". I have tried with removing the HDMI cables and the power cord from the TV for 10 minutes before turning the TV back on and then plugging the HDMI cable back on, didn't work.

Anyone know what might cause this "no signal" message?

Sorry if I suck at explaining, but please just ask if you need more information! I'll do my anything to give as much information as possible.

Thank you for reading this! ❤️ I'm getting pretty frustrated by this, I have tried a lot but nothing works.

(I accidently posted this in the US Samsung community forum, and the moderator redirected me here, I will copy and paste what I wrote in that thread, sorry)

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

If you connect your Steam link directly to the TV, does it work as expected?  

ARC isn't in play if you go via your AV receiver, and we know the AV receiver is getting an HDMI signal okay as it plays the sound.

Sometimes it is a handshake problem on the HDMI link as it daisy chains through.  Switch to that AV source then try turning the Steam link off for a few seconds then back on to see if that triggers the HDMI link to negotiate and connect up.

Connecting directly to the TV to check it works and gives a picture is a good test as it helps identify where the problem might be.

Regards

Phil

0 Likes
ItsMuke
Apprentice
Options
Yeah, by connecting my Steam link directly to my Samsung TV I can get it to work, but then I can't get my 5.1 surround to work since I must have my Steam link connected directly to my receiver. The nice fellow over at the Steam community explained it all pretty well to me (if you check the link that I added you can check what we wrote, if you want), so it feels like it's a handshake problem. I have tried what Gary wrote on iFixit (https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/169334/No+Signal+Error+from+HDMI+connections) to fix the handshake problem but still nothing. It feels so weird because the TV reacts, so they are connected, there is just no video signals reaching through.
0 Likes
ItsMuke
Apprentice
Options
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqoqQ_KUNwc Here's an unlisted video I just made to demonstrate how it looks. I don't know if it will give you anything but I made it just to be clear haha. As you can see the receiver reacts to the TV so they are indeed connected, and the Steam link music plays so it is connected to the receiver. Even tho I had the Steam link powered off it didn't fix the no signal problem.

Don't mind the cable management hehe.
0 Likes
Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

It's a tricky one this, the joys of HDMI, all because of the copy protection unfortunately, it would be a lot simpler without it.

Anyway a couple of suggestions, you will have two cables involved currently, one to the AV amp, one to the TV, have you tested both these cables on their on direct from the Steam link box to the TV, just to make sure they are both okay.

If you haven't yet, try powering everything down and off at the mains and wait say 30 seconds and switch back on to re-negotiate the HDMI handshake again.

If your amplifier has video processing options, try turning this off for a straight pass through of video, or turn on, just to see if one or other settings starts it working.

After the TV has said it can't find the source, try turning the Steam box off then back on again.

Even if the cables appear to work okay separately, it would be worth trying different cables as HDMI is a funny sometimes.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Phil

0 Likes
Solution
ItsMuke
Apprentice
Options

Thank you very much for your reply, Phil, you truly are awesome!

I solved it.

I did all the steps that you told me but none of it seems to work then I remembered that I got an old Andersson tv lying around so I hooked it up to my receiver instead of the Samsung TV thinking it might work, but it didn't. So the problem must be receiver. I thought about what you said about the video processing so I turned off all the settings (which is HDMI link, lol), turned the TV back on and no luck. In my sadness I started trying to figure out just why it just won't work, as I were doing this I turned HDMI link back on and look at that, it works. The problem was that I had to turn HDMI link OFF and then ON again. I am sorry for troubling you with this problem when the solution was this simple. 

If more people have this problem with your Harman/Kardon AVR151s, or any receiver with HDMI link for that matter, just turn HDMI link off and then on again. 

Thank you again, Phil for helping me! ❤️

0 Likes