Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UE50AU8000 no BBC teletext Service

(Topic created on: 14-01-2022 10:59 AM)
DuggleBB
Explorer
Options

Just (probably foolishly) brought a UE50AU8000.

Like my useless UE32T4307, doesn't offer any BBC Text service, ironically in the broadcasting | expert settings there is a section for setting Teletext LAnguage settings, with three sub options, so it seems Teletext  should be available if there is any way to turn it on (or is it just sheer laziness by Samsung Engineering in not removing from firmware?).

Been through all the other options and can't find an obvious Teletext On switch, can anyone suggest if there's a fix, I've two friends with new Samsung TV and they do get Teletext so why doesn't my set offer it?

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi,
If your TV is connected to the Internet and you press: The RED key: The Red Button enhanced connected service launches

The digital Teletext feature for the BBC has been removed from 2020 models onward
DuggleBB
Explorer
Options

But the iplayer news presentation is rubbish & cumbersome compared to the teletext summaries.

Why the BBC can't reproduce the Teletext news service on iPlayer instead of some of the ridiculous shows they produce is beyond me

0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
BBC turned off Red Button for internet connected devices but for some reason if you are just using over air transmission on Freesat the Red Button service is still operating for some news and sports reports although in text form (which I suspect is what you want back anyway). The same may therefore work on Freeview TVs with SMART functions. If you can disconnect it from the internet and then reconnect after trying without too much hassle it is worth a shot at least.
0 Likes
DuggleBB
Explorer
Options

"Click here to view the replies and mark one as an Accepted Solution."

How absurd, all replies only confirm my criticism, don't resolve issue, and shows that Samsung just doesn't care about customer service/support any longer, just dish out the same rubbish, just so long as we keep on paying!

TR6Nick
Apprentice
Options

I agree with DuggleBB. Samsung couldn't care less.

I replaced a slightly older SMART Samsung TV (UE32J5800) with the  newer (I thought) UE32T5300) because we needed another TV and I thought a newer one would be more sensitive as we live in a poor reception area. Anyway Teletext worked fine on the old one, in fact it works fine on the other two Samsung TVs we have. So it is nothing to do with the BBC, it is clearly an issue with T5300's. I rely heavily on Teletext for information not normally available in a single source anywhere else. Why doesn't it work and surely an update of software could resolve it.

Why Samsung, why have you removed this extremely useful facility, which the BBC offers, from your 2022 sets. The BBC threatened to ditch the Teletext around the same time as the pandemic hit, but changed their mind as it IS a very convenient way of getting information across to the viewing public.

Who in Samsung hierarchy can I contact about this issue? Why remove a useful feature and leave the option on the remote control? I feel as though I've been misled by Samsung on this as I tended to assume if the option was on the remote then it would work on the TV.

I am not a happy chappie!@!!!

0 Likes