Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

UE43M5520 43" Smart LED TV not recognising Toshiba Canvio basics USB3.0 Hard Drive

(Topic created on: 16-02-2018 10:20 PM)
sklitch
Journeyman
Options

Hi, simply as above. Tried both USB ports, switched TV to standby and back on whilst the Hard drive is plugged in and nothing. It just says no USB device connected. I thought I had confirmed (elsewhere) that this drive was compatible.

Can anyone help?

TIA

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

wrote:

Hi, simply as above. Tried both USB ports, switched TV to standby and back on whilst the Hard drive is plugged in and nothing. It just says no USB device connected. I thought I had confirmed (elsewhere) that this drive was compatible.

Can anyone help?

TIA

Faulty TV send back and get one that does work. 

0 Likes
AntS
Options

Hi @sklitch. :robothappy:

What format is your drive formatted to? And are you able to test another USB device or drive with the TV?

sklitch
Journeyman
Options

I thought the drive was plug & play so would format itself when plugged in. I have done some more research and it may be the single USB port isn't strong enough to power the drive. i have orderded a y cable splitter to see if plugging it into both USB ports will work. I am yet to try a different USB device as I understand anything on a stick will be deleted when it formats for the TV and I don't have a blank stick to use . Not giving up yet and certainly not sending the TV back!

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@sklitchwrote:

I thought the drive was plug & play so would format itself when plugged in. I have done some more research and it may be the single USB port isn't strong enough to power the drive. i have orderded a y cable splitter to see if plugging it into both USB ports will work. I am yet to try a different USB device as I understand anything on a stick will be deleted when it formats for the TV and I don't have a blank stick to use . Not giving up yet and certainly not sending the TV back!

Certainly try and see if cable splitter makes a difference, though imagined the port would be powerful enough. I've checked up on the drive and whilst it says formatted during manufacturing process,should you wish to format suggests there may be problems with FAT system and recommends NFTS.  It may be wise to do a format in any case. https://www.toshiba-storage.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/UM_Canvio_Basics.pdf   You could check you have the latest firmware installed which is  1153.1  http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE43M5520AKXXU      Would be a good idea to check another device at some point if still issues as  @AntS  suggests.

The only thing is I've noticed some having problems with USB 3.0 devices on a US site, though does say 2.0 compatible. Noticed there can be an issue with hard drives with 3.0 GB or greater capacity on Tv's and advice is to repartition , however may not be relevant in your case.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Solution
sklitch
Journeyman
Options

Thanks James. The cable solved the problem. The TV now recognises the hard drive and we can record (I'm not sure if it was a power problem or a cable problem as I have only plugged in the HD USB and it worked straight away, no need to plug the other USB in!). The problem we have now, which I have read is an issue, is that we can't record one channel and watch another and when the TV is on stand-by, it won't record either. I believe the solution is to update the TV's firmware. I will check  the version we have and investigate how this is done. Thanks for your advice.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@sklitchwrote:

Thanks James. The cable solved the problem. The TV now recognises the hard drive and we can record (I'm not sure if it was a power problem or a cable problem as I have only plugged in the HD USB and it worked straight away, no need to plug the other USB in!). The problem we have now, which I have read is an issue, is that we can't record one channel and watch another and when the TV is on stand-by, it won't record either. I believe the solution is to update the TV's firmware. I will check  the version we have and investigate how this is done. Thanks for your advice.

No problem Sklitch, glad your hard drive issue issue at least seems resolved.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

sklitch
Journeyman
Options

Seems our firmware version is 1151 and it won't update through the TV. The link you gave me shows the version I need but how do I get the update onto the TV? Sorry to keep on with the questions.

0 Likes
sklitch
Journeyman
Options

Sorry James, I was being thick. I can now see there is a d/l manual with the update. I will sort it tomorrow. Thanks again

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@sklitchwrote:

Sorry James, I was being thick. I can now see there is a d/l manual with the update. I will sort it tomorrow. Thanks again

That's ok, yeah you download  file to usb  stick and update that way. Once you insert into Tv go to software update ,ensure you're updating via USB.