Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UE40MU6400 Firmware 1147

(Topic created on: 14-11-2017 11:10 AM)
GuyL
First Poster
Options

After an initial flurry of firmware updates (luckily avoiding major problems but with some wobbles on motion handling which were pretty much resolved although not quite perfectly) my TV has been stable on firmware version 1138 for quite a while.

I'm taking a particularly conservative view on updating this TV after the problems with bad firmware but today it prompted me that version 1147 was available.

Would be very interested in any feedback from anyone using 1147.

Thanks

0 Likes
42 REPLIES 42
creepyg
Explorer
Options

Dropped an email to support. Would urge anybody with a similar issue to do the same. 

0 Likes
creepyg
Explorer
Options

Reply received from support. Asking me to reset and rerun set up. Oddly, their advice has unearthed another issue. 

I can no longer set up my smart remote to control attached devices.

It gets as far as entering my AVR manufacturer, then on the test page displays an error 'there was an error while downloading, please try again later'.

So now my AVR no longer powers on with the TV and can't be controlled with the smart remote.

Again, this all worked fine prior to the firmware  update.

0 Likes
GuyL
First Poster
Options

Oh dear - doesn't sound good.

Meanwhile still on FW version 1138 my issue subjectively seems to be getting worse. Last night I was watching a recording on my BT PVR which is connected via HDMI 3. At the end I just did my normal routine of putting everything into standby and then switching off power to the TV (but not the two PVRs which are left powered on in low energy standby at all times).

On switching on the TV at breakfast time this morning and pressing the Power button on the Remote I was a bit slow immediately afterwards and left the TV displaying that it was on HDMI 3 but that device was not responding  - well it was in deep standby of course. It seems that in this position if you don't quickly select another device which is switched on then you can get stuck with the Remote not working at all. No amount of button pushing could get me out of this state and I had to power cycle the TV and then quickly press the Source button on the Remote repeatedly until it settled on TV rather than HDMI 3. 

0 Likes
Serban
Journeyman
Options

My AVR is a Yamaha RX-V473. 

Next to this I've discovered that HDMI ARC also stopped working after this upgrade.

0 Likes
creepyg
Explorer
Options

That sucks. So no sound at all via ARC? Have you contacted support?

0 Likes
Rickbo
First Poster
Options

I haven't had any issues with controlling other devices and the (small) issue with the PS3 appears to be resolved I think. Thankfully (by the sounds of it) I don't have the issues with audio as I haven't got the TV hooked up to my sound system (Denon CEOL N9) yet. Even if I did, it doesn't have an HDMI input, only optical. I did try to connect via Bluetooth but just couldn't get the audio to sync so gave up until I can be bothered to order a longer optical cable to run from the TV to the stereo. Compared to the last TV we had, the sound is actually much better (!) in any case for normal TV viewing, which shows how rubbish the last one was!

0 Likes
GuyL
First Poster
Options

I think you will be OK (FW 1147 permitting) with connecting the TV's optical output to your Denon. I have a Denon DRA-F109DAB and it works very nicely - I  obtained a 15m optical cable and a rotating TOS-link connector (due to little space at the back of the amp) from eBay for just over £10. As my HiFi speakers are behind the seat from which I watch TV I like to have both TV and HiFi speakers operating together but I only switch the HiFI on occasionally because, as you say, the TV speakers are quite good for normal usage. If you do want to run both sets of speakers together you probably would need to adjust the delay to eliminate any echo effect.

I resolved my problem with being unable to switch inputs on start up. Checked the Remote batteries - both showing 1.39V Open Circuit which superficially looked OK but maybe they were dropping under load. Inserted two new batteries each showing over 1.6V. Problem solved. Doh.

0 Likes
Rickbo
First Poster
Options

Hi GuyL,

Did you run the optic cable direct from the TV to your amp? I've got mine running from the source (TiVo box) to the amp and I just can't get it to sync up properly. I can get it very close but not close enough for it not to be distracting! 

Rich

0 Likes
Serban
Journeyman
Options

I have contacted support and this is how it went:

1. Called support, described the problems, they asked me if I'm near the TV, I wasn't, they asked me to call back when I have the TV next to me.

2. Called support from home, described the problems, they scheduled a remote session with an engineer, no need to be next to the TV for this step :smiling-face:

3. After a couple of days I was called back by support, I described the problems, gave him remote access.

He did some things in the service menu, he said he's resetting the HDMI ports, the TV restarted in a out-of-the-box state, all settings lost. 

I configured it back, the AVR power on and ARC still not working. 

I asked if he can downgrade the firmware, he said this is not possible. 

He put me on a list for a home visit from one of their technicians.

4. After 15 minutes a technician called to ask me if I'm available in 1h (I was quite impressed).

5. Bored, I've started to reset the TV settings, browse the menus and options, do a power cycle on the TV and AVR, the usual stuff I already tried a couple of times hoping to fix my problems.

After the power cycle the ARC started to work. I do another factory reset just to make sure that it doesn't go away, it's still working => 1 problem fixed (probably that HDMI port reset from the remote session)

6. After 1.5h the technicians arrive. I tell them that ARC works now but AVR power on still doesn't work.

They toggle all the options on and off a dozen times, still not working.

They say that there's no issue with the TV and this is a software issue. I tell them that I agree because that's what I'm saying from my first contact with support, that the firmware upgrade caused this problem.

Then they try to convince me that it's not actually a firmware problem, that the other devices are not compatible, and that it doesn't say anywhere that it should work so this is not a bug, bla, bla, bla - it worked before the upgrade so I consider this a regression. All arguments pointed into one single direction, this is not Samsung's fault. Even got the argument that software updates are my responsibility (even though the TV had auto update from factory).

After 30 minutes of debate they somehow agreed that it might be a problem so they continued to investigate. We also got in the AVR side, started to toggle all the options, nothing happened.

They started to film some scenarios in which the bug appears in order to use them for opening a ticket to the software team.

In the end they moved the HDMI from HDMI 3 (ARC) to HDMI 2 and the AVR power on worked again. This was quite strange because I also tried changing the ports.

After they left, I switched on and off the TV a couple of times and it stopped working even with in HDMI 2 - also tried HDMI 1.

In the end I have ARC working on a port, AVR on/off sometimes working (currently not working) on a different port and hopefully a filmed bug report for the software team that will be fixed soon through a new firmware upgrade.

Worst case, I have a TV 8-9 years newer than my previous Samsung, with a lot of smart capabilities that I don't really need and the inconvenience of starting the TV, starting the AVR and switching the sound to HDMI receiver each time I start the TV.

Unfortunately the time frame in which I could have returned it back closed a week ago, so I'm stuck with it.

I'll keep you posted if anything changes.

0 Likes
GuyL
First Poster
Options

Yes - direct from TV to Amp - the only other thing in the path is the 90 degree swivelling TOS-link connector at the back of the amp.

Given that you can only adjust the delay in 10 millisecond jumps, I found that it is most comfortable to have the sound from the TV (in front of me) fractionally ahead of the sound from the HiFi (behind me) rather than the other way round About 80 to 90 ms  delay setting IIRC but that is obviously dependent on the equipment and room. To determine my delay figure I tried changing the delay between a heavy echo with the TV leading the HiFi and a heavy echo with the HiFi leading the TV and then settling more or less in the middle.

0 Likes