Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

UE40J5000AK no surround through Optical Cable

(Topic created on: 09-09-2021 02:30 PM)
Nevarnost
Explorer
Options

Hello everyone, i just bought a 5.1 surround sound system, and connected it to my tv with an Optical Cable but the TV outputs only stereo sound. What can i do? I already set the TV to output to "external speakers" and set the digital audio to "PCM" but still i can't get 5.1 surround.

(FYI the surround system is a Sony HT-S20R

#UE40J5000AK

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Nevarnost
Explorer
Options

Ok, Just FYI, after many days of research i found out that the problem is that Samsung doesn't pass through 5.1 audio from HDMI to Toslink. Pretty bad functionality but ok

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01109021/

View solution in context

41 REPLIES 41
AntonioSoares
Voyager
Options

Hi, change to Bitstream on the TV so that the audio data can be sent compressed to the sound system.

This way, audio decoding is handled by the 5.1 receiver.

If the system has HDMI, you can use PCM thru HDMI. Optical cable has low bandwidth and can't handle 5.1+

Please check this link for more detailed information.

Coaxial vs optical vs HDMI: which is the best audio connection to use? | What Hi-Fi? (whathifi.com)

Have a great day!

Nevarnost
Explorer
Options

Hello, how do i change the audio to Bitstream? My TV doesn't have ARC, can i use HDMI to pass audio?

Nevarnost
Explorer
Options

Unfortunately The only "Audio" options i Have when i turn on "external speakers" are:

• Speaker settings> select speakers
  • Additional settings > digital audio output> audio format (with only PCM and DTS Neo 2:5)
  • Additional settings > digital audio output> delay
  • Reset Audio 
0 Likes
AntonioSoares
Voyager
Options

Thanks for the update.

Please try the following:

1. Connect a DVD/BlueRay player to the TV and set it to output in Dolby Digital.
  2. In case you don't own a player, try a Dolby Digital movie/video from a USB drive
  3. Once playing the video, go to the audio settings on the TV and you will find Bitstream available and select Dolby Digital/DTS, according to the supported formats of your receiver.

Dolby and Bitstream may not be available in case of using a set-top box broadcasting audio only in PCM.

For example, if using an XBOX console, you need to go to settings and select the same options so they may be paired by the TV/receiver.

I hope this clarifies.

Example on XBOX:

Optical: Bitstream

Format: Dolby D

AntonioSoares_0-1631199096200.png

Nevarnost
Explorer
Options

I have a PS5 and a FireStick, but :

If i put the firestick in dolby or DTS, the speakers mute themselves

If i put the PS5 in dolby or dts the audio is still stereo.

In both cases the Dolby or DTS options on my tv are Grayed out

0 Likes
AntonioSoares
Voyager
Options

Hi,

All devices must be compatible or else the settings will be grayed out.

To be able to configure the TV, first set the player/set-top box/console to the appropriate settings then the options will be available on the TV.

To enable Dolby or DTS on the TV, you must use bitstream. That is a requirement for optical cable. You can use PCM over HDMI.

Cheers

AntonioSoares
Voyager
Options
Nevarnost
Explorer
Options

I put my PS5 both in Dolby and DTS, trying both "AV Receiver" and "TV" settings, but nothing has changed, the dolby and Dts settings on my tv are locked

0 Likes
AntonioSoares
Voyager
Options

Yes you can use HDMI to pass audio.

What is your setup?

0 Likes