Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

UE40J5000AK no surround through Optical Cable

(Topic created on: 13-09-2021 11:53 AM)
Nevarnost
Explorer
Options

Hello everyone, i just bought a 5.1 surround sound system, and connected it to my tv with an Optical Cable but the TV outputs only stereo sound. What can i do? I already set the TV to output to "external speakers" and set the digital audio to "PCM" but still i can't get 5.1 surround.

(FYI the surround system is a Sony HT-S20R

#UE40J5000AK

0 Likes
41 REPLIES 41
Nevarnost
Explorer
Options

There is something wrong that we are missing... I'm getting crazy and nothing is actually working. I also tried to play a DVD on my playstation with 5.1 enabled (the movie had 5.1) but literally nothing has changed.... 

AntonioSoares
Voyager
Options

hi,

if you are playing a 5.1 title on Playstation the TV doesn't enable Dolby D?

Keep the audio on the TV internal speakers and tell me if the audio comes thru. If it comes thru, verify if Dolby D is available and change to Dolby D.

Try now to set External speakers and output to optical. Do you have audio output on the sony speakers (doesn't matter if stereo or not)? Try to enable Dolby D on the TV.

At this stage, if none of my sugestions are valid, I'd recomend testing another HDMI cable, test the Sony speakers on another TV and test PS5 Dolby D on another TV set.

My guess right now is that something there has an issue. There are no more options besides testing each component individually.

Sorry not being able to help further... 😞

0 Likes
Nevarnost
Explorer
Options

Unfortunately as non of this worked, i think that my TV doesn't pass Dolby From HDMI to Optical, and i don't know why. The HDMI cable is a 2.1 (the ps5 original one) . I don't have another tv to test it out, but thank you very much for your time, maybe it's just my tv's fault (it's a 2015\16 model)

0 Likes
AntonioSoares
Voyager
Options

Since you have the best HDMI cable available and unfortunately you don't have ARC on the TV the HDMI audio output is not a possibility...

My TV set is a 2016 Model and I have no issues with Optical (also have a 55" from 2019).

If you have the possibilty to test each device separately on a friend/family TV it would be nice, this way you could troubleshoot even further.

Thank you for your appreciation!

Nevertheless, all the tutorials I shared with you are valid for other people with the same issues.

Have a great weekend and keep safe! 🤗

Nevarnost
Explorer
Options

You too! 😊😊

Nevarnost
Explorer
Options

Hello! I have a little update:

When i plug in a USB with a Dolby Digital Movie the options are available and can be turned on, but when i plug something through HDMI they are Grayed out

AntonioSoares
Voyager
Options

Hi!

Excellent news!!!

Is it possible to try a lower spec'd HDMI cable, like an HDMI 1.4 to see if the problem relies on the cable version being incompatible with the TV. 🤔

This is just for a test since you have the best available cable and should be retrocompatible.

Also, check your TV software version and verify if is lower than the one I shared earlier. Update it, if needed.

Cheers!

Andrea_C
Expert
Options
Nevarnost
Explorer
Options

unfortunately the console is perfectly working, in other forums i found someone saying that older samsung TVs dont pass 5.1 audio through HDMI to the Optical Output

AntonioSoares
Voyager
Options

Hum...

That's sad...

I can't in fact confirm that as all sets I had were able to pass thru Dolby.

With that information, I believe we have a case closed... 😔