Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

UE40J5000AK no surround through Optical Cable

(Topic created on: 10-09-2021 11:46 AM)
Nevarnost
Explorer
Options

Hello everyone, i just bought a 5.1 surround sound system, and connected it to my tv with an Optical Cable but the TV outputs only stereo sound. What can i do? I already set the TV to output to "external speakers" and set the digital audio to "PCM" but still i can't get 5.1 surround.

(FYI the surround system is a Sony HT-S20R

#UE40J5000AK

0 Likes
41 REPLIES 41
AntonioSoares
Voyager
Options

Let me share with you that I also went thru that rodeo first times until finding out the settings that worked for my setup.

In my case, a 55" Samsung + Set-top + XBOX One X + 2005 Pioneer 5.1 Receiver + Tannoy Speakers 😅

Soooo... Been there, done that!! I feel you! 😂

Nevarnost
Explorer
Options

I did this, i tried both HDMI ports, but the dolby setting is always grayed out.

PXL_20210909_233203342~2.jpg

AntonioSoares
Voyager
Options

Hi,

can you share the PS5 audio settings in a screenshot?

0 Likes
AntonioSoares
Voyager
Options

Sorry to keep insisting on this.... It's a double check.

Don't forget these settings on the Playstation or Dolby will not be available on the TV

(check this video on minute 5:18 (165) Let’s Run Through PlayStation 5’s Settings! - 3D Audio, Resolution & more explained! - YouTube)

AntonioSoares_2-1631271350926.png

Head to Settings > Sound > Audio Output and change the HDMI Device Type to AV Amplifier. (If you're using a soundbar with surround speakers, you'll still want to select AV Amplifier instead of Sound Bar, since the latter option doesn't seem to offer surround output.)

Finally, at the bottom, set the Audio Format (Priority) to Linear PCM if your PS5 is connected directly to your receiver or soundbar over HDMI. If your PS5 is connected to your TV, with your TV sending audio to the speakers over Optical or HDMI ARC, you may need to select Dolby or DTS here in order for surround to work.

For a more extended explanation on PCM/LPCM and Bitstream, please follow the link below.

PCM vs Bitstream - Which One To Select And Why - UPDATED 2020 (planethifi.com)

0 Likes
Nevarnost
Explorer
Options

PXL_20210910_122214767.jpg

PXL_20210910_122226637.jpg

these are my settings, but strangely enough they don't say "Bitstream", what can i do?

0 Likes
Nevarnost
Explorer
Options

I also tried to change "AV Amplifier" to "TV" but nothing changes

AntonioSoares
Voyager
Options

Is the number of channels set to 5.1 on PS5?

If you set audio mode to TV in your TV settings, do you have audio?

0 Likes
Nevarnost
Explorer
Options

Yes and yes 🙁

0 Likes
AntonioSoares
Voyager
Options

🤔

with those settings on, is Dolby now available on the TV? Do not change output to External Speakers

I'm trying to break this troubleshooting into parts

0 Likes
AntonioSoares
Voyager
Options

Hi,

just found this video that shows the same menus I have on my older Samsung TV.

Hope this helps. Make sure you are running something in background that supports Dolby D.

I'm running out of ideas... 😞

(165) How to setup Samsung LCD TV Passthrough Surround Sound - YouTube

0 Likes