Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UE40D5520 smart tv - what do we need to record please

(Topic created on: 05-01-2022 07:00 PM)
eric101
First Poster
Options

Hi hope someone can help. We've just inherited the above tv. we only watch Freeview. It works fine but what is the simplest kit we can get to record programmes? Will an ordinary external hard drive work? What connections do we need etc. Many thanks for your time.

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi,
This page maybe helpful

How do I record Freesat HD on my Samsung TV?

https://www.samsung.com/hk_en/support/tv-audio-video/how-do-i-record-freesat-hd-on-my-samsung-tv/#:~....
0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@eric101: The user manual states "We recommend using a USB HDD with at least 5400 rpm, but a USB HDD of RAID type is not supported." When you watch a broadcast, press the record button (red circle) on the remote, and a pop up window will appear. Please be aware that you may be required to complete a device performance test before you're able to start recording. 

0 Likes
eric101
First Poster
Options

Thanks for this information. Looking on Amazon it doesn't look as if the RPM speed is often given in the spec of hard drives but I see some are listed as being compatible with smart tvs. One further question - how large a memory size do you need - I realise it varies from person to person but, roughly, how many hours of tv can you record on say 100GB? Thanks

0 Likes
TessM
Mastermind
Options

That will depend on many factors, @eric101 . However, as a guide you can say that an hour of 'good quality' mpg2(SD) could use 4GB, whereas HD could be 10-15GB. 

0 Likes