Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UE-50RU7090 4k HDR playback via USB HDD stutter/freeze problem FIX

(Topic created on: 02-01-2020 04:10 PM)
muratbalci
Apprentice
Options

Hello people,

i bought this tv on black friday so it's new.

But when i was trying to watch Witcher 4K HDR from a usb 3.0 external hdd (i had to download because my internet connection is 6mbps, otherwise i have netflix account. ) i had playback problems such as stutter/freeze/image corruption etc.

The images was getting corrupted/blocky and A/V was stuttering and freezing. I thought maybe TV was just not powerful enough to play this but for a new TV it was unlikely.

Then i realized stutters were happening when there was talking, and i saw there was more than 25 subtitles in the movie file including weird ones (chinese etc.)

Even though i disable subtitles or choose a subtitle from the enormous subtitle list, the playback stutters when movie encounters a subtitle.

So i removed the subtitles except English and Turkish from the file to try it out and now movie playbacks nicely. When you have a small list of subtitles there is no problems.

I'm not sure if the number of subtitles or weird subtitles creates this problem, even tough disabling subtitles doesn't resolve the problem unless you remove the subs from the file itself. (MKV container)

Samsung engineers might pinpoint to problem and fix.

Thanks for reading.

video: https://youtu.be/gjU_EEM-878

31 REPLIES 31
Anastas Garavalov
First Poster
Options

Huge thanks for this workaround! With so many downgrades over time, this is a lifesaver for what used to be once a wonderful 2017 4K TV. And Samsung just don't care.

0 Likes
Fred G
Student
Options

THANK YOU!!!

I almost bought a router and external hard drive to fix this problem. MKVToolnix is the answer - just remove all subs but the ones you need. Here is an article explaining how:

https://betanews.com/2017/07/04/how-to-remove-subtitles-from-mkv-videos/

I hope Samsung do something to avoid having to go through all this in the future. This is a fix but it's still a lot of work.

0 Likes
lowlight
First Poster
Options

I am glad I was able to find this.. The problem is the same with 8 series as well apparently. Obviously it'll never get fixed - they still default to displaying subtitles which is absurd - but the workaround is easy enough.

Dita Yudistira
First Poster
Options

Hey Bud, how do you delete subtitle? Same in my TV, it lagging when I play downloaded video with 30+ subs in it

0 Likes
Savvasy
Apprentice
Options

Thank you so much. Since I bought my QE55 I were using XviD4PSPv8 to remove subtitles and to convert Dolby Atmos or DTS sound to AC3 since this Samsung TV does not support these formats.

At some point I were bored to remove the subtitles and I had this exact problem with the stuttering at the beginning of a dialogue in a movie. I never thought that the problem were the subtitles.

If I understood well this problem persists for almost 3 years and Samsung ignores it.

It is the last time I am buying a Samsung TV as well. Not just for this problem but for many other problems that they never fixed.

0 Likes
_Thr33_Pyd3z_
First Poster
Options

I have this same problem except the video file that I'm trying to play doesn't have removable SUB files. The file plays flawlessly on my Laptop using VLC player. But like the OP mentioned, the video freezes and pixels up as soon as someone starts talking. 

TV model: un50nu6900

Drive: Samsung 3.0 256G

0 Likes
Pablo Sconosciuto
First Poster
Options

Great post, thanks for sharing this! I'm experiencing the same problem with a different TV model from 2018 (which firmware is up to date). Unbelievable...

0 Likes
mc H
First Poster
Options

that was great help. thanks

0 Likes
QPR_FC
First Poster
Options

I have the same issue with my Samsung ua43n5500.....I've got the latest firmware but it stutters like crazy when watching from USB.

I will never buy a Samsung product again.

My Samsung S20 FE 5g is also pathetic and didn't transfer everything from my LG v30+ during the initial set-up. I tried it 3 times (took hours each time) wasting time with a brand new phone took all the excitement away. I contacted Support and their reply was that LG to Samsung is incompatible due to file structure!! I lost so much important information that I now have to carry two phones around so that I can access stuff on the LG that wouldn't transfer over!!!!

0 Likes