Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UE-50RU7090 4k HDR playback via USB HDD stutter/freeze problem FIX

(Topic created on: 19-09-2020 04:16 PM)
muratbalci
Apprentice
Options

Hello people,

i bought this tv on black friday so it's new.

But when i was trying to watch Witcher 4K HDR from a usb 3.0 external hdd (i had to download because my internet connection is 6mbps, otherwise i have netflix account. ) i had playback problems such as stutter/freeze/image corruption etc.

The images was getting corrupted/blocky and A/V was stuttering and freezing. I thought maybe TV was just not powerful enough to play this but for a new TV it was unlikely.

Then i realized stutters were happening when there was talking, and i saw there was more than 25 subtitles in the movie file including weird ones (chinese etc.)

Even though i disable subtitles or choose a subtitle from the enormous subtitle list, the playback stutters when movie encounters a subtitle.

So i removed the subtitles except English and Turkish from the file to try it out and now movie playbacks nicely. When you have a small list of subtitles there is no problems.

I'm not sure if the number of subtitles or weird subtitles creates this problem, even tough disabling subtitles doesn't resolve the problem unless you remove the subs from the file itself. (MKV container)

Samsung engineers might pinpoint to problem and fix.

Thanks for reading.

video: https://youtu.be/gjU_EEM-878

31 REPLIES 31
PatrickS01
First Poster
Options

Have the same problem with my NU8000. This problem not only occurs with random third party files, also my own files I make (nature timelapses) have this problem regarding subtitles. The TV doesn't even show them in the subtitle menu, yet somehow they make the video a complete mess whenever a subtitle should occur.

I have encountered a lot of these type of annoyances from Samsung's side and little care from them to solve these. They just don't care about their customers actually getting a sollution. Hence they ask for a premium price for their top TV's and  for example still don't support any DTS sound, or even send it externally to an AV receiver.

I know my next TV won't be a Samsung if they can't solve something as stupidly simple as playing a video file from a USB device with subtitles. If that is the case, then they either really don't care about the customers or they lack good software engineers, seeing this problem is still present after a few years.

Ditman
Journeyman
Options

Hello again! I just want to thank Muratbalci because the fix worked! Atlast the issue is gone and the image is great. Samsung need to fix this. 

wisetalk
Student
Options

Same issue
But this is so stupid of Samsung to still have not fixed it. Its a shame we are talking about this issue in 2020, I had an old Xiaomi TV from 2016, played any 4K file you'd throw at it.

wisetalk
Student
Options

So I tried your solution and it worked perfectly!
However, when I tried to play the original file again (the one with 20+ subtitles) that file played flawlessly as well. Now that I think of it, all I had to do is plug and unplug the hard drive to make it work.

0 Likes
pert
First Poster
Options

this command with FFMPEG removes all subtitles. its quick and file is good not corrupted like with VLC i tried before. time duration is right and file is time searchable

ffmpeg -i input.mkv -sn -c:v copy -c:a copy output.mkv

0 Likes
Tares
First Poster
Options

Timestamps are unset in a packet for stream 1    . I have this error with your code. Do you know how I can fix ?

0 Likes
Waqas_Ahmed
Student
Options

You sir, are a genius! KUDOS.... this solution worked perfectly on my TV. Awesome ....

radekzc
First Poster
Options

Thanks man, that was the problem indeed! Too many subtitles in mkv! SAMSUNG PLEASE FIX THIS OR THIS IS MY LAST SAMSUNG TV (qe55q9fn; USD 3k spent)!

RayneR
Explorer
Options

First time writing here on the community and using mkvtoolnix really FIXED the issue... now everytime i see stuttering i will have to check the Subtitle Streams.

Also this is a UE55MU6645 Curved TV and it's getting vertical shadows looks like faded column lamps or dying back light... thank god i have insurance and i hope it will cover if its not able to be repaired i will get the money back...

It's second Samsung TV with problems, not buying again Samsung TVS.

0 Likes
killface
First Poster
Options

It's now December  of 2021 and no sign of Samsung fixing this. I've had a miserable year with this glitch haunting me here and there. I even considered selling the TV. So, HUGE THANKS for this hack. Since i need Portuguese subtitles and some couple more, i'm assuming that as long as i remove a big bunch and leave some i'm ok. Does anyone know or learned how many we should keep so we don't get any more problems? 
Well, tomorrow will be a long day using MKKToolNix!
THAAANNNKKKKSSS!!!!!!!

HEY SAMSUNG! PLEASE! UPDATE LONG DUE!!!!

0 Likes