Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

TV turns itself on!

(Topic created on: 21-02-2021 03:34 PM)
PAD
Pioneer
Options
I have a UE32M5520 tv which has a number times turned itself on. It only has a power cord and aerial lead plugged in.
We do have other Samsung tv's in the house but their remote controls can't trigger that tv which is in another room (we gave tried).
2 nights ago it did it again whilst we were watching our main TV in another room. Neither of us were holding any remotes, phones, tablets etc at the time. Last night it did it again. 
Anyone else experienced this? 
I know we could unplug it instead of leaving it on standby but that's a pain (it doesn't have an on/off switch). I've never had this happen before and we had and have, a number of Samsung tv's.
0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
Seraphin47
First Poster
Options
I have had one of my TV do this the other night frightened the life out of me.
0 Likes
Solution
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
It's probably looking for firmware updates or new TV channel changes. You can disable both of these in the TV settings menus. When I worked in a small independent hotel as a Student to fund my studies some of the newly installed TV sets did that and woke guests at 2am they weren't exactly overjoyed. The guy who installed them did not bother disabling those. He never made that mistake again because he got ribbed about it for months
PAD
Pioneer
Options
Thank you. TV was set to auto tune channels and then turn on 2 hours later! Seems a stupid default setting really but hopefully now resolved. 👍
0 Likes
ClarkCast360
First Poster
Options

This freaked my wife out this morning.  She was standing in the kitchen this morning and the TV powered on with a browser open.  The only button on the remote that would work for her was the home button.  Then she powered it off.  A little morning spook for her.  

0 Likes
eMMGeee
Explorer
Options

In what mode your TV turned on?

There are 3 possibilities here:

1. Tv was turned on via SmartThings app - but it rather cannot be triggered unintentionally.

2. Tv turns on because of activating bluetooth link with external device, such a smartphone. Music Wall is a part of Ambient Mode and cann be activated just when you turn on your phone's bluetooth, but only when your phone was already paired specifically with this service.

3. Ambient Mode has a Routine option when if checked would turn on your tv everyday morning or evening or both, if your tv set was off at the time.

The last one was quite a pain in the... you know where, for me and it wasn't that obvious for me why tv turns itself on. 

Take care!

0 Likes