Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV started burning and omitting toxic smell from back customer service wont do anything about it.

(Topic created on: 05-10-2020 05:29 PM)
taroyle81
Apprentice
Options

hi all, So my daughter of 2 years old was watching peppa pig on or 5 year old samsung television in my front room whilst i was prepering her tea in the kitchen. i returned to the front room and could smell a very strong burning toxic smell being omitted from the television i felt the back of the television and the plastic back cover was extremely hot. i switched the television off and left thinking might of over heated. i replugged the television back in and the the same strong toxic smell came back and the back began getting hot again. 

i spoke to samsungs customer services they put me through to the product leason services, who sent out a engineer the following weekend. at this point i was very happy with how samsung had handled my case. 

whilst the engineer was here he plugged the television back in and low and behold the smell of toxic burning smell came back which he pointed out was coming from the power supply board which was located at the left hand side of the televsion and also the postion were the plastic had heated up. the engineer then unpluged the television passed me the power cable to the televsion and told me to hide it somewere to make sure that nobody plugs the television back in. which really worried me as god knows what could have had happened if i hadnt have noticed it or we had gone to bed and left the telly on, my house could have burnt down with my family in it. 

i then get told of samsung that i will have to pay £500 pounds to repair the televsion, i was shocked as this is nothing i have done to the television and is clearly manufacturing fault with the television. 

after doing some digging on the internet i have found this is a happening more and more with samsung television, they have had problems with there capacitor components by using substandard components. there has even been class action law suits in america over this issue. 

i am shocked that samsung have not taken any notice and all they keep saying to me is its because the television is old and i will have to pay for the repairs. i wouldnt say 5 years is old. they currently have a advert for there washing machine with a hashtag of #builttolast more like #builttoburn. 

if you do have a samsung tv make sure you unplug it before you go to bed because god knows what could happen. 

i know samsung wont do anything for me which is a shame as they have lost a very loyal customer, as i have bought phones, ssd drives, tablets from them. but that is going to change and samsung wont really care about one customer as ive seen on many  a forum of people getting fobed off from them. 

if anyone has had a similiar problem comment below. 

rant over.

kind regards taroyle81

53 REPLIES 53
taroyle81
Apprentice
Options

I had the same experience, shocking really especially from a big company like Samsung. You would think that they would want to keep there customers happy but I suppose with them being such a big company they don't really care, that is and till one of television's sets alight. I've got an s10 phone and had nothing but trouble with it, once I've run my contract out i am done with Samsung. 

0 Likes
Chaos2
First Poster
Options

Sitting watching tv and started smelling a burnibg smell.  Didnt know what is was. Call the fire department.  That determined it was coming from the Tv. Is there any  recourse in getting if repaired. My Samsung is onlt  about 4 years old. Thanks

0 Likes
David-Adams
First Poster
Options

We were watching the TV, when we heard a pop sound, saw a flash, and the TV screen went dark. A few moments later, there was another pop, and a strong smell of burning electronics filled the room. I quickly removed the TV from the wall mount and unplugged it from the wall. We're pretty certain that our house would have burned down had we not still been in the room when the second short happened. Having a TV that self-destructs after five years is one thing. When it fills your house with acrid smoke and then kills you and your family in their sleep, that's quite another. 

AndrewL
Options

@David-Adams: I'm really sorry to hear that you have experienced this issue. I have sent you a private message in relation to this, therefore please click on your profile in the top right > Messages, and respond at your earliest convenience, and I will get this escalated for you. 

0 Likes
Mariacap1
First Poster
Options

This happened to me too just now 

BAE8C989-D07C-4D21-9D7C-E78A5F1423F8.jpeg

600A5F43-D6A4-4C34-8719-610A6D2E8405.jpeg

0 Likes
CarloL
Hotshot
Options

Hi @Mariacap1, thanks for bringing this to our attention. I sent you a Private Message to discuss this further with you.  

0 Likes
ElCapitanmix
First Poster
Options

Is there a phone number i can call? Also had this same issue.

My tv was s well taken care off and sudently the cable or something started burning.

0 Likes
ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

Hi @ElCapitanmix 

We've sent you a private message regarding this.

0 Likes
Abit68
Student
Options
i have the same thing happen to my TV lastnight we were all in bed and my sons tv started smelling like burning so strong! so i unplugged it and took away the cable so he cant accidently turn it on im terrified it could have caused a fire!
0 Likes
CarlH
Options
0 Likes