Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV started burning and omitting toxic smell from back customer service wont do anything about it.

(Topic created on: 13-05-2020 04:50 AM)
taroyle81
Apprentice
Options

hi all, So my daughter of 2 years old was watching peppa pig on or 5 year old samsung television in my front room whilst i was prepering her tea in the kitchen. i returned to the front room and could smell a very strong burning toxic smell being omitted from the television i felt the back of the television and the plastic back cover was extremely hot. i switched the television off and left thinking might of over heated. i replugged the television back in and the the same strong toxic smell came back and the back began getting hot again. 

i spoke to samsungs customer services they put me through to the product leason services, who sent out a engineer the following weekend. at this point i was very happy with how samsung had handled my case. 

whilst the engineer was here he plugged the television back in and low and behold the smell of toxic burning smell came back which he pointed out was coming from the power supply board which was located at the left hand side of the televsion and also the postion were the plastic had heated up. the engineer then unpluged the television passed me the power cable to the televsion and told me to hide it somewere to make sure that nobody plugs the television back in. which really worried me as god knows what could have had happened if i hadnt have noticed it or we had gone to bed and left the telly on, my house could have burnt down with my family in it. 

i then get told of samsung that i will have to pay £500 pounds to repair the televsion, i was shocked as this is nothing i have done to the television and is clearly manufacturing fault with the television. 

after doing some digging on the internet i have found this is a happening more and more with samsung television, they have had problems with there capacitor components by using substandard components. there has even been class action law suits in america over this issue. 

i am shocked that samsung have not taken any notice and all they keep saying to me is its because the television is old and i will have to pay for the repairs. i wouldnt say 5 years is old. they currently have a advert for there washing machine with a hashtag of #builttolast more like #builttoburn. 

if you do have a samsung tv make sure you unplug it before you go to bed because god knows what could happen. 

i know samsung wont do anything for me which is a shame as they have lost a very loyal customer, as i have bought phones, ssd drives, tablets from them. but that is going to change and samsung wont really care about one customer as ive seen on many  a forum of people getting fobed off from them. 

if anyone has had a similiar problem comment below. 

rant over.

kind regards taroyle81

53 REPLIES 53
taroyle81
Apprentice
Options

Pointless pal, they wont do anything. throw it in the bin and go buy yourself a LG far better Television!

0 Likes
Jura21
First Poster
Options

The same thing just happened to me last night with my 7 year old Samsung TV. At one moment I could just hear a buzzing sound from the TV and fell a toxic smell from the back of the TV. The picture went shade and when I plugged it back in, no picture at all, just the buzzing sound and the bad smell.

Really disapointed, your TVs should last longer than that.

0 Likes
TBD2
Student
Options
my tv just went dark with a plastic burning smell... what is it and how do this get fixed?
0 Likes
TBD2
Student
Options

please specify... what "info" are you asking for??

0 Likes
TBD2
Student
Options
what was the message??
0 Likes
MBenson
Student
Options

I found out what was the problem, but the initial problem turned into a nightmare thanks to Samsung Canada's attrocious service. I had a local tech come look at it, he took it apart and showed me the problem, the power board was arcing, caused the fire and he told me to contact Samsung asap because it was a safety issue and they need to know. I paid the tech, he told me he would replace it for $150 installed if Samsung did nto cover it. I Contacted Samsung they said the local tech was not an authorised tech of theirs and I would have to use theirs and they would replace the board. The chap they sent come from 100k away, told me there would be no charge and left with the board, next day called me and told me i had to pay $350 for the service call. I refused to pay the $350.. never got my power board back, i kept contacting Samsugn they said they can do nothing.. i threw the TV in the garbage, then they contact me back and said the local tech can fix it.. I'm like WHAT it's in the garbage.. So i'm out a $1500 TV.. had to pay the initial tech to come here, never got my power board back.. because Samsung's power board arced, because Samsung sent some guy from 100km away and thought he could swindle me.. Samsung then offer me a 3 month extended warranty on my next purchase of one of thier TVs.. Yeah, nah, I'll pass and never buy another Samsung product in my life.

0 Likes
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hey @TBD2 ,

we take these matters very seriously and will do the best we can to assist you in this situation. Can you please send us a message from here? 

TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hey @MBenson ,

this is not what we would like to hear and we would happily pass your details to our colleagues in Canada to have a look at your case. Can you send us a message from here with further information about this? What TV model do you have?

taroyle81
Apprentice
Options

as mentioned in previous post, they wont do anything, go buy yourself a LG television. i will never go back to samsung!

MBenson
Student
Options

Your service dept has had 3 months to fix this issue and has failed to do so.

I've learnt going to private message with Samsung is just your way of sweeping this under the table and you have no intentions of helping me after what Samsung Canada did to me.

0 Likes