Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

TV Screen has dark section at bottom of screen

(Topic created on: 06-05-2020 12:04 AM)
Jengar
Apprentice
Options

We have a 55JU6800 TV which is just 18 months old.   We have a problem that started a few months ago.   The screen at the bottom would be a lot darker when the TV was switched on but after a couple of minutes would sort itself out and was fine.  Now, though, the screen is staying dark at the bottom all the time and doesn't clear.   We can still see the picture through it but it is very irritating.   Has anyone else had the same problem and is there a fix for it?

207 REPLIES 207
Johnnyread
Journeyman
Options

Hi mate, most likely a new panel and if that's the case would be better off buying a new TV, I had exactly the same model as yourself and mine ended up in a skip and I went back to LG. I've owned a lot of TV's and always sold the old ones to mates or family. All of the ones I've sold are still going strong so this will be the last Samsung product I touch as they seem to think there isn't a a problem yet this forum seems to prove otherwise

0 Likes
Nimrod01
Explorer
Options

Mine is a UE50JU6800 and did exactly the same thing for several weeks before I fully realised the problem, I initially put it down to signal weakness, then realised I could replicate variable screen shadowing during setup screen displays.  I've had 2 screen back light panels replaced and within a month already noticed minor screen shadows occurring occasionally. I also notice sluggish response of the T V when changing channels and the whole performance appears impaired. Unfortunately the only advice I can give is consider replacing the TV for another make.

0 Likes
Baridol
First Poster
Options

Had my Samsung for about 5 years, about a year ago, bottom half back light went out. After about a week, it somehow fixed itself.

Tried unplugging everything, tried a different power outlet, nothing worked. 

Now its gone again. So I am currently looking at LG. Forget Samsung, during the lockdown and can't even watch TV properly. Fool me once. I'm never buying another Samsung product again. Like most on here. 

0 Likes
Harbmeister
Journeyman
Options

Hi Johnnyread,
thanks for the response. As mentioned in a subsequent post just glad it will be getting fixed - let's see how long I get after that (as 5y warranty will be up in December). They'll be picking it up (John Lewis that is) when things settle back down.
I wasn't thrilled at the idea I might have to get a new one - it's wall mounted and not sure if another model might fit the exact position (sound bar underneath etc.).
Take the point expressed here and other similar threads that Samsung hasn't been knocking out TVs of the best quality/reliability.

0 Likes
Andypandyman
Apprentice
Options

Mine is doing the same,   4K "premium" TV, out of warranty. It seems to have a brownish colour mark at the middle bottom of the screen. I presume it will get worse everntually. 

These sets are made with a operating life of about 3 years were they expect, or want you to replace them again, much like phones. They look nice while they work, but they just do not last long and are not manufactured to be repaired, rather replaced like pretty much all new technology.

It makes me laugh how we are all told to be so enviromentally aware these days, but these big companies like Samsung churn these sort of TVs out which just dont last long at all compared with older technology.

0 Likes
Harry40
First Poster
Options

I have the same issue with my Samsung TV. The dark shadow appears in the middle of my 46 inch tv

I spoke with their call centre advisor who made excuses that my tv was not connect to the internet and he could not help any further. I contacted the Samsung authoried dealers for repair quote and it was an eyewatering £550. I guess you can buy a new tv for that price. ,truly fed up with going round in circles . Might try a Sony next time.

Model: UE46F6670

Serial No: ZAZG35CF300867T

0 Likes
vcx10
Explorer
Options

Mine has just yesterday developed a black band across the top part of the screen and after reading all this I guess it's goosed been better than some of the story's on here as mine lasted about 7 years before this issue still cost me 1099 pounds when I bought it so I still don't really class that as good value for money 

0 Likes
Catxx
Student
Options
I have the exact same tv. Amd noticed 30 mins ago black shadow in the exact same place as yours. We have 2 of these tvs lne downstairs which is this one and the other on the bedroom hardly used and it's perfect and older otherthen a chewed remote but the husky. I'm thinking this is a common problem funny it's in the same place on the screen. Really annoying tbh. Will see if I can claim on contents insurance grrr
0 Likes
Apadams
Explorer
Options

The solution has NOT BEEN SOLVED. Samsung are liars Samsung has a major issue with the screens and dont care as they make much more money on repairs. All they do is send out engineers untill warranty runs out then they do nothing. They just ignore you its a disgrace and they need to be taken to court and recall the tvs and give refunds. But they wont they are getting away with it. This has been going on for years theres loads of people complaining on this site and thats just the tip of the iceberg most people dont even know about this site. I can gaurantee that this is happening to thousands of Samsung customers all over the world and retailers need to stop selling Samsung televisions now.

0 Likes
Andypandyman
Apprentice
Options

I think in the UK at least it would be nigh on impossible to take them to court, it would cost way too much money and there is a risk it could ruin you if it goes wrong. All I can suggest is just make sure you tell other people to avoid buying their TVs and never buy another one yourself, I certainly will not. I think the TV looked amazing when I bought it, but the life of it is way too short for the money you spend.

At the end of the day, they just want you to be buying products sooner, which is a joke in regards to the enviromental aspects. How much enviriomental pollution and waste must Samsung be producing now.

0 Likes