Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

TV Screen has dark section at bottom of screen

(Topic created on: 28-03-2020 04:39 PM)
Jengar
Apprentice
Options

We have a 55JU6800 TV which is just 18 months old.   We have a problem that started a few months ago.   The screen at the bottom would be a lot darker when the TV was switched on but after a couple of minutes would sort itself out and was fine.  Now, though, the screen is staying dark at the bottom all the time and doesn't clear.   We can still see the picture through it but it is very irritating.   Has anyone else had the same problem and is there a fix for it?

207 REPLIES 207
Apadams
Explorer
Options

Jordan are you a samsung employee what's your thought on the Samsung tv screens and how bad they are do you think they should recall them.

0 Likes
Nimrod01
Explorer
Options

Jw33 - did you get your TV repair warranty through Curry's?  I'm on my second backlight replacement, but not sure that involved changing the entire screen.  It's already faltering and sluggish changing channels and is now hesitant turning on and I'm waiting until it fails again or blacks out. Next time it happens I'll ask for a replacement.  I'm wondering how long are we expected to tolerate repeated repairs?

0 Likes
Jw33
Journeyman
Options
Yep all done through Curry’s, I’ve had a mix of backlights and screens. All of them have lasted 10-12 months. My current one will fail around October this year, so I’ll get it replaced one last time then it’ll be a nice fresh LG or something next year.
0 Likes
Nimrod01
Explorer
Options
All credit to Curry's for honouring the terms of their guarantee. I too bought mine with a Curry's 5 Year Guarantee and have now had quite enough of disassembling and sending the TV away for a week at a time whilst it’s being checked over and eventually returned. It can’t be cost effective for Curry's Repairs Dept to continually undertake these expensive repairs, so in the event of it going wrong again, hope they’ll realise its no longer cost effective to repair again and agree to a replacement equivalent model. I will ensure that is not manufactured by Samsung!
Jw33
Journeyman
Options

Agreed, can’t fault curry’s for getting it sorted every time. Last year when it failed for the 5th time I suggested that it would be far cheaper to offer a replacement brand but they were not interested. Must be costing thousands constantly replacing all the parts!

0 Likes
Bubblehead1981
Journeyman
Options

I have emailed samsung ceo with my Mp stating it's gone 18 months in and they are repairing my screen free of charge . 

0 Likes
Harbmeister
Journeyman
Options

Hello All,

Have an UE55JU6800 (five years old) and we have had this problem with a shadow in the lower part of the screen intermittently for around six weeks - but for the past week it has become unmovable (we used to be able to switch it off/on etc.).

It fails picture test and there's no s/w update.

It's wall mounted.

Any help appreciated - it's not under warranty.

Harbmeister.

0 Likes
Bubblehead1981
Journeyman
Options

I would say this seems to be a common thing with Samsung tvs lately . I emailed the CEO ,  my local mp and  due to the fact my tv was less than 18 months old and there seems to be a pattern with screens failing  . They are repairingine freebof charge  . My last plasma tv lasted 10 years .Not a problem. 

0 Likes
Harbmeister
Journeyman
Options

Hi Bubblehead1981,

I can't remember PoS will be looking for the receipt/literature but at coming up for 5yrs can't imagine I can get a repair FoC (and I don't remember taking out a 5yr Warranty).
I coud understand if it got hammered but it's not on a great deal of time 😞

If anyone knows what the repair cost is (vs a new unit)??

0 Likes
Harbmeister
Journeyman
Options

Oh hold the bus.....I completely optimistically checked my emails and PoS was John Lewis and includes 5yr warranty. I'm cockahoop!

0 Likes