Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

TV Screen has dark section at bottom of screen

(Topic created on: 24-03-2019 03:28 PM)
Jengar
Apprentice
Options

We have a 55JU6800 TV which is just 18 months old.   We have a problem that started a few months ago.   The screen at the bottom would be a lot darker when the TV was switched on but after a couple of minutes would sort itself out and was fine.  Now, though, the screen is staying dark at the bottom all the time and doesn't clear.   We can still see the picture through it but it is very irritating.   Has anyone else had the same problem and is there a fix for it?

207 REPLIES 207
Salz51
Journeyman
Options

This is EXACTLY what my TV looks like. Any luck with a solution? This happened a couple weeks ago on my TV for the first time. It turns out I had to do a manual software update and it cleared up, but now it is back and I did not find any additional updates that needed to be installed. 

0 Likes
Bjarne2824
Apprentice
Options
Hi
They replaced the screen on my tv ...
I had payed for extended garenti 5 years ...
So when I reach 4.8 it might fall af the wall .
0 Likes
Apadams
Explorer
Options
Just an update to say whats been happening since last reply samsung keep sending engineers out to change screen problem is im on my fourth screen fourth all day engineer visit and ive still got problems still getting dark marks but now i also have a lighter coloured screen around the edge. Plus when i turn off screen the picture shrinks into a part of the screen and stays white when that goes and its off the screen glows all night. Im really fed up all they will do is send an engineer and its only a matter of time till waranty runs out and itll be cheaper to buy new tv. Ive read other reviews that say it what samsung do to alot of customers i wish i knew that before i bought a samsung tv.
0 Likes
Irisheyes
First Poster
Options
Hi! Did they tell you the problem? I bought mine used from a coworker so I dont think it's covered under warranty anymore and I don't want to get ripped of by the repair guy. Thanks!
0 Likes
SarahC1
Journeyman
Options

Hi, it was something to do with screen inside, but said it would cost too much to fix (sorry, can't remember exactly what it was) Currys gave me back roughly half money i paid (i claimed under consumer rights) it was 18 months old.

i purchased a Sony afterwards.  as this came with 5 years guarantee. 

I do still have a Samsung 40" in my dining room and that's a year old (touch wood) is ok. but its a worry.

0 Likes
Salz51
Journeyman
Options

Hi, 

yes but it isn't good. I'm so pissed off because I absolutetly loved the picture on my Samsung 4K and it is done for. I paid 2k for the TV and it only lasted 5 years. Ridiculous. they told me the same, it has something to do with the lights inside the screen but it will cost me about $1,100 to $1,500 to fix. Not worth it, cheaper to buy a new TV. Either way, I will not purchase another Samsung TV. 

0 Likes
SarahC1
Journeyman
Options

I know, I'd notbuy another Samsung tv again.  They seem to be of poor quality .

id recommend Sony. i have a 49" that is 4k etc. and seems more robust? 

I hope you get more luck with a other tv.

0 Likes
marius18br
First Poster
Options

guys it's just a burnt LED(s) from the backlight strip ... fairly easy to fix, costs less than 5 dollars. 

Salz51
Journeyman
Options

That would be awesome. Any chance there is a how to video you can point me to? 

0 Likes
stephtomo
First Poster
Options

Hi, like everybody else I have the same problem on my 55" Samsung tv but I've been a bit luckier than most and got 2years 6 months before the screen started to go dark at the bottom of the screen. Even with the highest brightness, contrast and sharpness, the bottom third of the screen is hardly visible. I have been in touch with Samsung and I'm waiting for a call back, but I won't be holding my breathe to get a costless result. I'm just glad that I read the complaints in this forum as I was just about to purchase a new Samsung tv. I think it's a disgrace that a fault which is known to Samsung, hasn't been rectified. This is a common fault which, after digging deeper, has been known for quite a few years. I personnaly don't think that it is just a question of changing an LED on the backlight. I mean after reading the rest of the complaints, the fault was mostly repaired by changing the screen. So I don't think a Samsung engineer would change a part costing hundreds of pounds when a fix could be done for a few pounds, unless the tv is out of warrantee. Anyway I'm now be looking for a new 55" tv. Any suggestions anybody?

0 Likes