Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

TV scheduled viewing and recording not working

(Topic created on: 21-01-2018 05:56 PM)
SBr
Apprentice
Options

Hello,

Our scheduled viewing and scheduled recording function on our TV has recently stopped working. You can select these functions and they will show in the scheduler however no notifications are received or recordings started. If you go to the guide or scheduler after the start time of the selected programme the viewing or recording indicator has disappeared.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or able to suggest anything that may help us fix this? 

Thank you.

Go to solution
170 REPLIES 170
Bodgit
Apprentice
Options

Seems like its an EPG problem, tried recording on Freeview overnight and it worked fine.

Freesat recording works if you're recording on the same channel you're watching, like just now, I've set off recording a live program and turned the TV off.

I would use Freeview but it has far fewer channels than Freesat and I'm used to the Freeview channel listing. Looks like I will be using the old Humax box to record most programs then, it is an HD box and picture quality is practically indistinguishable from the Samsung tuner.

A real shame the Samsung tellys don't have proper recording EPGs/facilities.

0 Likes
Mrjimi
Apprentice
Options

Hi there,did you find a fix,my QN90A just developed same thing 🤔

0 Likes
Bodgit
Apprentice
Options

No, not found a fix yet but I have yet to try turning the TV off part way through a retune. Might give that a go sometime.

Mrjimi
Apprentice
Options

I'm starting to think it's a DRM Issue, I noticed that some TV programmes get automatically removed, for eg I recorded David Byrne America utopia,it was removed,I have a ES8000 no issues whatsoever,no strict DRM  issues neither, another potential it could be is a memory or cache issue,I think I read it needs 100mb to store 30 reminders, now if you Series link them, maybe that takes up reservations and the TV has issues deleting it completely as I tried to delete so Many Reservations it worked fine for 4 recordings or viewings and did the same,I retuned and TV off for minute it worked, until a week later same issue,so I think this is logging but not deleting,I press stop time function and that continues to run but I look and it's clearly not, so definitely a processing data issue, it's not the end of the world if you have catch-up but I expect a higher standard from a flagship model, like my 2014 ES8000 Still works, hopefully update can sort it if we continue to nag them, I'm emailing and calling them tomorrow

0 Likes
TVEye
Journeyman
Options

I still think it's purely down to the EPG not updating. I never have this problem with my Humax HDR 2000T, because it is never completely switched off until it is physically switched off from the mains supply. Instead, it enters a deep-sleep mode, but is temporarily awakened whenever an EPG update if transmitted. Perhaps there's something in the Samsung power options that I haven't noticed, but I wouldn't mind betting that if you left the TV on permanently (obviously not a good idea) this problem would never exist.

DLV
Apprentice
Options
The problem is not the EPG, it is a simple case of bad coding poorly tested and implemented. Samsung Smart TV's did not have memory, table space, EPG or any similar issues prior to 2016. The TV would record whether the TV was on or off, did not return any errors and the EPG updated correctly. Since then All Samsung not so smart TV's have suffered from the same core issues, which Samsung are aware of but have made no attempts to resolve. Let's face it, it is much more profitable to keep pushing out new, supposedly improved models, than spend expensive man hours supporting existing models in our throw away world.
0 Likes
KR54
First Poster
Options

I have a Q7 55in Samsung TV and have had the same problem with intermittent recording when using a hard drive. As a last resort I replaced the hard drive with a USB flash memory stick and the recording function now works perfectly. I wonder if it is a voltage problem with the TV USB port not supplying enough power for the hard drive which might explain why it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

bhoy252
First Poster
Options
Brand new Q 80A tv .looking forward too recording tv ..Then found out this tv won't record scheduled programs in guide ..COME ON SAMSUNG ADMIT THIS FAULT AND FIX IT NOW.
0 Likes
AL_101
First Poster
Options

Brilliant idea. I have done the same, and it's worked for over a week now.

0 Likes
hkey-root
Student
Options

FREEVIEW. When recordings fail - Too many reservations (even when there are no recordings scheduled) etc..

Frankly I've lost track of 'solutions' and orphaned replies on this thread. Here's my solution which *never* fails:

Do a manual retune stepping through each frequency/channel. That's it. This is only required when recordings start to fail.

===============================================================

I have tried with only partial success to auto-retune and set 'Channel Initialisation' to 'Enable' (default is 'Disable'). This always loses the scheduled recording list though.

I have tried with only partial success to copy all files on the drive to a PC, reformat the drive and copy the files back. The TV's OS that controls file housekeeping is shoddy. For example If you set a programme to watch later and then watch a recording during which the TV switches to the live scheduled transmission the OS doesn't properly close the recorded file. There are some other incidences when support files aren't properly closed, tidied up or deleted as appropriate and can leave some support files relating to deleted programmes on the disk. It really is poor stuff.

For the record I currently use an SSD. Previously I used a 2½" HDD. The choice of SSD or HDD has no bearing on the abysmal performance.

0 Likes