Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

TV scheduled viewing and recording not working

(Topic created on: 21-01-2018 05:56 PM)
SBr
Apprentice
Options

Hello,

Our scheduled viewing and scheduled recording function on our TV has recently stopped working. You can select these functions and they will show in the scheduler however no notifications are received or recordings started. If you go to the guide or scheduler after the start time of the selected programme the viewing or recording indicator has disappeared.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or able to suggest anything that may help us fix this? 

Thank you.

Go to solution
169 REPLIES 169
Laurus74
Explorer
Options

Been in contact with Samsung for a few weeks now as tv won’t doing the schedule recording, did think it was the external hard drive which I have had replaced under warranty, obviously wasn’t that! Anyway the latest response is shown below, is this correct or am I just being robbed off? Tried reset tv multiple times, which has now messed up the DVD player 😡

“Just to assuage any worries, this wouldn't be considered a 'Known Fault'. The feature is in fact working as intended, there's just quite a bit of confusion in regard to what the feature is capable of.

Recording and scheduling programs to a hard drive can be handy if you're primary source of TV viewing comes from the in build digital, Free-Sat capabilities.

However, not all programs can be recorded, the majority of TV shows are broadcast digitally with DRM in place. DRM being Digital Rights Management, which means you're unable to record or schedule the program to your Hard Drive, as the broadcaster wants to protect its property from Piracy.

We can appreciate this isn't the news you were hoping for, so we're here for any further questions. ^AX

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Laurus74 wrote:

Been in contact with Samsung for a few weeks now as tv won’t doing the schedule recording, did think it was the external hard drive which I have had replaced under warranty, obviously wasn’t that! Anyway the latest response is shown below, is this correct or am I just being robbed off? Tried reset tv multiple times, which has now messed up the DVD player 😡

“Just to assuage any worries, this wouldn't be considered a 'Known Fault'. The feature is in fact working as intended, there's just quite a bit of confusion in regard to what the feature is capable of.

Recording and scheduling programs to a hard drive can be handy if you're primary source of TV viewing comes from the in build digital, Free-Sat capabilities.

However, not all programs can be recorded, the majority of TV shows are broadcast digitally with DRM in place. DRM being Digital Rights Management, which means you're unable to record or schedule the program to your Hard Drive, as the broadcaster wants to protect its property from Piracy.

We can appreciate this isn't the news you were hoping for, so we're here for any further questions. ^AX

@Laurus74 wrote:

What a load of tosh! 

Ask why did it work ok for a few weeks and records everything? 

Ask why it will record what you are watching,  so what about digital rights then? 

Ask why those excuses are not shown as part of their limitations of the tv? 

Ask why the UK CEO office admit that is a known issue? 

I have a duel Freeview recororder that works fine,  and I also have a Samsung Free Sat duel recorder that also works fine. 

There fundamental argument is thrown out of the water when you just mention that you can record what you are watching. 

They are doing their normal thing and trying any excuse to deny that it is a fault with the tv. You have to knock down their arguments until they run out. Do everything in writing. I posted on here my emails to the CEO and their admittance of the issue. 

Paul

CarlH
Options

Hi @Laurus74. This is correct (I actually advised AX on that post). It's down to the broadcasters to allow which channels can be recorded and then the networks have to allow the programmes on top of this. 

0 Likes
Brynl
Explorer
Options

If this is correct, how come I can record and keep ANY programme when I record a live programme? Also the related feature Schedule Viewing no longer works, I can’t see how it is anything to do with DRM, they never mentioned this when I spoke to them yesterday.  They said it was a known s/w issue and would be addressed in a future release..

Darekt
Pioneer
Options
Boooool*****, when I had problem with recording it did NOT record anything Mr Moderator.
Now i can record ALL programs from freeview.
Don't know how long but if problem start again I'll try tuning and, maybe, will work.
From my thinking is that TV cannot record because its not tuned properly to TV channel. Samsung, talk to your engeners about it.
Laurus74
Explorer
Options
My problem is I’m not technically so fining it hard to argue with them, I’m assuming my tv is tuned correctly, it’s been done so many times recently that I’ve got completely confused what it’s correct settings are. I do believe I’m being fobbed off but they seem to have an answer for everything.
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@CarlH wrote:

Hi @Laurus74. This is correct (I actually advised AX on that post). It's down to the broadcasters to allow which channels can be recorded and then the networks have to allow the programmes on top of this. 

It is not right! 

If that was the case then my Freeview duel recorder,  and duel Samsung Freesat recorder would have the same recording issues,  and they do not,  they work fine on scheduled recording.  I have a LG C8 which has a single tuner, but still works fine recording scheduled program's. The Panasonic and Sony TV's all work fine. I have an older 32 inch Samsung smart tv and again with a single tuner but records scheduled program's no problem. 

Your argument does not stand as the Samsung TV's all work fine for a couple of weeks and then stop recording any and all scheduled programs. They will record what you are watching,  so that negates the copyright argument. If you do a factory reset sometimes it will work for a few more weeks then stop. 

So please stop blaming Freesat for the problem as I was told by the UK CEO office when they replaced my 65KS9500,  for a 65Q9F due to this issue,  and I had to except that the replacement q9f could have the same issue as it was an ongoing issue which they did not have a fix for. The q9f again stopped after a couple of weeks as Samsung CEO said it might do. I also had the Q900R 8k telly and this did the same. It became faulty so sent back. 

They even replaced the one connect box and the main board on the ks,  which fixed it for again a couple of weeks then stopped. 

So it is a fault with the TV. 

Paul

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Brynl wrote:

If this is correct, how come I can record and keep ANY programme when I record a live programme? Also the related feature Schedule Viewing no longer works, I can’t see how it is anything to do with DRM, they never mentioned this when I spoke to them yesterday.  They said it was a known s/w issue and would be addressed in a future release..

You are very correct. 

As per the fix it has been a problem since at least the KS series,  and no fix yet. 

I would recommend anyone with this issue report it to your retailers as it is a fault,  and is an advertised feature  of the   TV and therefore should work, and as I was told the only fix is a replacement TV. 

Paul

0 Likes
Laurus74
Explorer
Options

So does that mean I need to speak to John Lewis where I purchased it from? Can anyone tell me if it’s a 1 year warranty or 2, as if it’s 1 I need to get my act together as purchased it 17/01/18.

Darekt
Pioneer
Options
U cannot talk to supplier in first year, only Samsung, our Big Brother
0 Likes